DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   XH A1 will not record, viewfinder and eyepiece blk. (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/143732-xh-a1-will-not-record-viewfinder-eyepiece-blk.html)

David McGiffert February 13th, 2009 02:35 PM

XH A1 will not record, viewfinder and eyepiece blk.

Hi all,

I went to shoot some footage yesterday and when I turned the camera on
the viewfinder was black as was the eyepiece. The sound level indicators did not
move when I tapped the mic.
When I switch to the vcr play button, all is well.

I have checked the two lock-out switches, the one on the handle and the one
on the main body of the camera, they're right.
I have taken the power source out of the camera and hit the reset button
located under the viewfinder.
Nothing.

Any suggestions?

Thank you so much.

David

Bill Pryor February 13th, 2009 05:15 PM

You're talking about that pesky standby switch that's part of the record button on the back on the zoom handle, right? That's on? So far the only thing that has caused what you describe, ie., the camera seemingly dead but working in playback, is that switch.

David McGiffert February 13th, 2009 06:07 PM

Hi Bill,

Those stand-by switches are in stand-by on the body of the camera
and unlocked on the handle...that tells me I have a bigger problem no?
I have not been able to find anything else in the way of troubleshooting
that has helped.

all the best,

David

Michael Hutson February 15th, 2009 07:59 PM

this happened to me today....I ended up not having my ac power adapter seated correctly....it was cocked. thank goodness.

Bo Sundvall February 16th, 2009 02:09 AM

Hi

I've had the same problem this summer. The camcorder suddenly just died. No matter how the switches where moved the camcorder was dead. Sometimes when I turned on the camcorder I could see that it received sound as the level indicator inside the ring moved. The zoom control on the right side worked (as I could see that the lens elemets moved) but not the ring or the controller on the handle.
In VCR mode, everything was working.

I sent the camcorder in for repair as it still was under guarantee. I also had contact with the repair man and he said that it was a simple problem. It was bad contact in a connector to the optical unit which made the camcorder unusable.

I don't know if you're having the same problem with your camcorder but as you describe the problem it's possible. I think this is a very bad sign as a bad connector inside the camcorder can stop it from working. It feels unreliable as it can happen anytime and there is no way to fix it in the field and it has to bee sent in for service.

Good luck with your camcorder!

Regards,

/Bo

Ian Wright February 16th, 2009 02:59 AM

I've just discovered another button on the A1, thanks to this thread. I never knew there was a 2nd lock-out switch on the handle. It's only taken me a year!

Just as well I didn't accidentally activate it during that time...

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd

David McGiffert February 16th, 2009 10:09 AM

Ian

I have seen that switch confound many owners.
Glad you found it!
Thanks everyone for the input...
I guess my camera has to go to the Doctors.

All the best,

David

Alan Craig February 16th, 2009 11:34 AM

Ian, Just to set the record straight the lock switch on the handle only stops you using the record button on the handle it does not stop any other buttons from performing their normal task.

Alan

Joel Peregrine March 20th, 2009 06:58 PM

Hi Bo,

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bo Sundvall (Post 1012796)

I sent the camcorder in for repair as it still was under guarantee. I also had contact with the repair man and he said that it was a simple problem. It was bad contact in a connector to the optical unit which made the camcorder unusable.

I just went searching for this problem because it just happened to me - lcd and viewfinder are black, but sound is being registered on the meters on the side and the VTR functions all work fine, including the LCD and viewfinder. Luckily I was on a single camera shoot and I had another A1. Unnerving to think it can happen whenever it wants to. I'll send it in on Monday.

Bo Sundvall March 23rd, 2009 05:06 AM

Hi

Sorry to read that you have problems with your cam. Please let us know what had happened to it after you receive it from repair.

Regards,

/Bo

Bill Watson March 26th, 2009 09:23 PM

Make sure your battery has a good charge. Similar thing happened to me a couple of weeks ago when I was rushing out the door to do a bit of filming.

At least I assume that was the problem. I didn't have much time so I threw the spare battery in and it worked fine. Recharged the other one and all is ok.