DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Editing Software for XHA1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/143791-editing-software-xha1.html)

Kevin Lewis February 14th, 2009 04:41 PM

Editing Software for XHA1

I was'nt sure if this question belonged here but since i'm using the XHA1 I thought it would be ok. I'm new to the xha1 and i'm looking for editing software that easy to use but still gives me ggod capeabilites. I guess the fact that the xha1 only allows for 2 channels of audio, should be factored into the equation. I've heard Pinnicale is easy to use. Please keep in mind that I wil be shooting and editing in HD. Thanks.

Michael Wisniewski February 14th, 2009 06:51 PM

My suggestion would be the entry level version of Sony Vegas. On the PC there's also Adobe Premiere & Canopus Edius. On the Mac Final Cut Express. If plan to shoot in 24p you'll need to get Final Cut Pro. Adobe Premiere also runs on the Mac.

Best to download the trial versions and see which one suits you best.

Marcel D. Van Someren February 14th, 2009 09:09 PM

Let me add Newtek's SpeedEdit to the PC NLE list. It's my personal favorite.

Bill Thesken February 14th, 2009 11:59 PM

Sony Vegas. It's fun to work with though it's the only NLE software I've used so far.
They've worked out the bugs for downloading 24/30 fps modes and contrary to the stats it does not need a lot of high tech computing power to edit HD. I do well on an '08 Dell $800 model.

Ian Wright February 15th, 2009 02:17 AM

I use Pinnacle Studio Ultimate V12. I'm only creating clips for the web and find that Studio is more than adequate. It's also very cheap!

Yesterday I got an HV30 as a second camera for my A1. Studio does have 2 camera editing but only displays the overlay track on the preview screen when there are 2 tracks. As long as you put the main camera's video (A1) into the Overlay track, you can cut out the unwanted bits, which then allows the 2nd camera to appear in the display at these bits.

I haven't used any other software, so don't know how they handle this type of editing.

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd

Kevin Lewis February 15th, 2009 10:07 AM

Thanks Michael I just downloaded the Sony Vegan Trail Version. I'm used to using WIndows movie maker which is no where near as sophisticated but it is easy to use. I like the storyboard option because it just makes thing easier. It seems that most other programs only use the timeline.

Michael Hutson February 15th, 2009 10:40 AM

Note to all:

If you, or your child are in college you can buy the programs for about 1/2 price through the college/university....same features.

Chris Hurd February 15th, 2009 11:17 AM

I'm a big fan of the Grass Valley / Canopus entry-level Edius Neo and Neo XL:

http://professional.grassvalley.com/products/edius_neo/

http://professional.grassvalley.com/.../edius_neo_xl/

Daniel Fessak February 15th, 2009 12:47 PM

Does no one have any love for Avid anymore? It know it's a bit expensive and not as popular as it used to be for reasons I will not get into, but if the learning curve doesn't bother you, once you get used to it, Avid's great. Final Cut makes you go through 3 steps to do one thing and the way it uses keyframes drives me crazy, but people seem to like it. I will admit that creating text and credits with it is very good.

People say you can't edit with Avid if you use 24f, but the times I have tried it I never had a problem. I use Xpress Pro and downconvert to SD when digitizing without any trouble. Maybe it's just 24f when editing in HD that the problems occur.

Avid used to have a free version of it that you could download from their site, but stopped offering it a while ago for some reason. It was very basic and you couldn't do any heavy duty editing with it, but it was a good introduction to the software. If you can get your hands on it somehow, which I have no idea how, that would be good for someone learning how to edit.

Michael Wisniewski February 15th, 2009 01:31 PM

Avid is great, but Kevin asked for ease of use, which Avid is not known for. Plus, Avid Media Composer still does not directly support Canon's 24F in the XH A1.

Mark Andrew February 15th, 2009 04:52 PM

man there's a lot to learn....

Darin Clifton February 15th, 2009 05:10 PM

Edit software

It may be an entry level software - but I've been using Cyberlink's Power Director for the last 2 years to edit a complete show for local cable. It's highly ranked in reviews.

CyberLink PowerDirector Review 2009 - TopTenREVIEWS

Kevin Lewis February 17th, 2009 09:27 PM

Thanks for the input guys. I downloaded the trail version of Sony Vegas and so far it seems pretty easy to use. I have'nt done anything to complicated yet, but so far it seems like it will be easy to work with.

Steve Kachocki February 17th, 2009 10:22 PM

You Can't Go Wrong with Apple

I used my education discount and purchased Final Cut Studio for the student price. It is the same software as the full price version, except you cannot purchase an upgrade when the new version comes out, but for half the price you can buy a full pack of the newest version when it appears.

FCP is used to edit many feature films and I figured if it was good enough for them, at the price I paid, it would work for me. I will admit it has a tough learning curve at the outset, but once you get the hang of it, you will be moving clips like a pro.

The best part is that for a hunny, you can buy a One to One card from Apple and an Apple Expert (more like highly knowledgeable) FCP instructor who will take you through every step of the process of creating the project of your dreams.

Send me an email and I will send you a link to the family video I made using our XHA1 and FCP.