DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   End of my rope... (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/144098-end-my-rope.html)

Zack Whittington February 18th, 2009 06:23 PM

End of my rope...

I don't know what to do.

A year ago, in October, I purchased an XH-A1. I love this camera. I've never had one before, and it is simply amazing. However, it is less than perfect.

Not long after I had it, I noticed when shooting against the sky, that a small yellow dot can be seen in the lower right hand corner. It's only visible at the smaller apertures, and against a contrasting blue sky or other, but it sticks out like a sore thumb, and can be seen on the LCD viewer.

I have sent the camera in 4 times for repair since I bought it, detailing the problem along with providing screenshots of the yellow dot. Each time it was returned to me with a note saying it was recalibrated and cleaned, but when I went to test the camera, the problem is still there.

The last time I sent it in for repair was last October, and now it is out of warranty. I spoke with a canon support person tonight, and he only offered me the same thing every other representative has offered me. I hung up. I have lost faith in Canon's repair facility because they have proven to me that they cannot repair my camera, and don't understand the problem.

I really want to get into film making, and I've spent a lot of money on this camera, and it should be perfect. I'm upset, and I really don't know what else to do.

Sorry, for venting on here, but I could really use some helpful advice.

Thanks for the community.

Zack

Khoi Pham February 18th, 2009 06:37 PM

Try talking to a supervisor instead, tell him that you have sent it in 4 times with no result, don't talk to any normal tech anymore.

Robert Morane February 18th, 2009 06:42 PM

Talk but also write a letter to the president of Canon USA detailling your efforts and the failling of sevice to resolve the problem, 4 times.

Lou Bruno February 18th, 2009 06:44 PM

Where is your retailer in all of this?

I am speaking from experience. Your retailer's sales rep. should have RA'd this camera after the second attempt and FAILURE to fix the problem.

It's done ALL the time but requires effort on your retailers part and communication between the sales rep. and Canon.

Petri Kaipiainen February 19th, 2009 05:40 AM

Maybe it is just a lens flare that even the president of the USA can not do anything about...

Can you show a sample?

Philip Younger February 19th, 2009 05:54 AM

I don't know about the USA but in the UK it is the retailer that you have a contract with to supply you with goods fit for the purpose. Clearly this camera isn't meeting that simple demand.

Again in the UK it would be custom to formally (in writing) reject the camera and although not necessary I would always reject it by a letter to the shop manager, his managing director at there head office and a further letter to Canon's CEO in case it is something Canon are aware or - or not - as the case maybe.

after four attempts at repair I have to admire your patience - in a country that allows individuals to own guns, I don't think I would be as patient :-) I think I would have re-created my own scene from a 1950's Western and rode into the store on horseback firing all six rounds of my Smith & Weston into the air!

Matthew Nayman February 19th, 2009 07:55 AM

would like to see a screen shot. I had a dead pixel problem, and after one or two failed visits to Canon, they simply replaced the sensor block.

Ken Wozniak February 20th, 2009 07:33 AM

Sounds like a dead pixel on the blue CCD. I'd be very surprised if Canon didn't help you out on this one. The key is - as was mentioned earlier - don;t talk to the techs anymore. Elevate your concerns to the next level.

Chris Hurd February 20th, 2009 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack Whittington (Post 1014215)
I have sent the camera in 4 times for repair since I bought it...

Which Canon USA service center did you send it to -- the one in Jamesburg, NJ or the one in Irvine, CA? Whichever one you used, try the other one.

Noa Put February 20th, 2009 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zack Whittington (Post 1014215)
Not long after I had it, I noticed when shooting against the sky, that a small yellow dot can be seen in the lower right hand corner.

I had exactly the same problem, 3 dots were visible and only against a blue sky. I noticed them after I was capturing and it had ruined more then one shot. I checked my camera again and then I saw the spots, again only visible against a blue sky, cleaning my lens didn't help. I send my camera to Canon together with some footage that I shot at the event and the camera came back with the message that they checked and that the camera was OK... meaning they couldn't find anything.

Strange thing was afterwards I had to wait until the weather cleared up to get a blue sky again and there were no spots anymore. I know for sure that as soon as I would notice them again i will send the camera back in again and if they can't find anything and if it's still there when I get the camera I will drive to Canon's repair centre personally to show the problem to whoever is responsible.

Don Palomaki February 21st, 2009 07:48 AM

Quote:

It's only visible at the smaller apertures, and against a contrasting blue sky or other, but it sticks out like a sore thumb, and can be seen on the LCD viewer.
Is it present in both HDV and SD modes?
What do you mean by "other"?
Can you post a frame grab showing the problem?
That it is aperture dependent (as opposed to brightness) is interesting. Make me think it is not a dead pixel..

Tim Cee February 23rd, 2009 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1015135)
Which Canon USA service center did you send it to -- the one in Jamesburg, NJ or the one in Irvine, CA? Whichever one you used, try the other one.

Good luck with Irvine, I live a few minutes from there and have dealt with them over several issues regarding my DSLR stuff. It seems as if Tech Support, regardless of the product or company and Canon included, has gone south in a big way.
Look at the bright side, you could be calling for tech support for a product made and sold in the USA but reach a man in India whose english...well never mind the rant as I am sure my point was made. Good luck.