Another sound question... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 19th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Another sound question...

I've just aquired a Rode NTG-2 mic and I can't seem to get a strong signal. I've set the XLR input to on, Mic att to off, phantom to on (no battery in mic) and I get a very weak signal dominated by noise. The mic suggests an impedence of 250 ohms and the XHA1 seems to suggest 600 ohms. Is there any way I can get thse 2 to match or is the mic faulty?
Thanks in advance.
Oliver.
Oliver Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #2
Trustee

One of our guys has an NTG2 on an XHa1 with great success. Check if you are switched to line input instead of mic.....failing that, try another xlr cable....off the top of my head...BTW unless I'm missing something, a 250 ohm mike is fine with the nominally 600 ohm input.....I use a Sennheiser shotgun and an Audio Technica hand mike with similar impedences.... Battle Vaughan / miamiherald.com video team

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; February 19th, 2009 at 01:18 PM. Reason: addendum
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 03:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi,
Yup, done all of the above. I tried it on a Fostex MR8 MkII digital recorder (no phantom, just AA) too and it is much the same. So we think it's the mic then?
Thanks,
Oliver.
Oliver Horn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #4
Inner Circle

If it's faulty, your RODE dealer will swap it over. Maybe run it with your A1 while you're in the shop, if you bought it locally.

Don't forget the 10year on line warranty at RODE.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 19th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

There are a lot of satisfied NTG 1/2 with XHA1 users on this board, including me, and there should be no problem with this combo to get some decent or even too hot levels. So it is a problem with the mic, the cable, the cam or the settings. (You did open the audio-pots the right way in manual?)
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks for all your help guys, turns out it was faulty so I took it back for a refund. I bought it used and the seller couldn't check it so all's good now.
Oliver.
Oliver Horn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders