DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   charger problem? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/144625-charger-problem.html)

Ryan Morey February 25th, 2009 06:06 PM

charger problem?

Hi guys,

I think I'm having a problem with my charger.I hooked up my a1 battery to the charger and it just keeps blinking once every second.I had the battery on for about 2 hrs and no change.I stuck another battery on and it's doing the same thing.Am I missing something here? I have a shoot saturday and I don't think things will go to well without charged batteries.....HELP!

Thanks,
Ryan

Michael Hutson February 25th, 2009 06:16 PM

what size batteries?

I believe the manual has charge times for the different batteries. If the indicator is not blinking more within the specified charging time, you may have a problem.

Ryan Morey February 25th, 2009 07:11 PM

Hi Michael,

Thanks for the reply.I checked the manual and it does have a long charge time.I put my smaller 950 battery on and it did start blinking twice after a few minutes.I'll leave my big battery on for a few hours and see what happens.I was completely drained when I put it on so maybe I just panicked.Hopefully everything works out.....fingers crossed:)

Ryan

Kevin Lewis February 25th, 2009 07:57 PM

If you have an important shoot and a battery is a must, you may want to order one now so that it arrive in time. You may have to have them send it by overnight mail. Is taking an extension cord to the shoot an option? If so, I would make sure you take a long extension cord so that you can plug the camera in if nessasary

Ryan Morey February 25th, 2009 08:29 PM

pheeeew....Well the battery is charging normally now...Thank goodness.I wound up moving it to a different outlet and plugging the charger in before attaching the battery.Not sure if that was the problem but at least it's working now:)I will bring an extension cord though just in case ( thanks for that tip Kevin) I'm sure I just over reacted a bit.I'll let you guys know if I have any trouble.

Thanks again for you help

Paul W. Hazeltine February 28th, 2009 02:11 AM

I bought a (non-Canon) charger on E-Bay for my XH-A1 which is both 110/240 volt and 12 volt as a backup as you never know it might come in handy and being able to use in a car is a bonus.

Chris Light March 1st, 2009 12:26 AM

i think the problem with the chargers is they always seem to get to the playoffs, but can never quite seal the deal.

sorry. had to.

Hameed Aabid April 16th, 2010 11:30 PM

Problem with the charger

My charger is not indicating properly. It has been flashing once every second for hours now. I put the battery in the camera and the camera indicates full charge now. So even if it is less than 100% shouldn't it flash three times or two times every second?

I just put my original canon battery and it is the same. The camera was showing some 50% full and it has been flashing only once every second.

Any suggestions?

Chris Soucy April 17th, 2010 12:06 AM

Hi Hameed...........

Stick with the original Canon battery for the moment.

Check what the camera says is the charge figure. Put it on the charger and watch it occasionally.

Does the LED go to solid if left overnight?

If it does and the camera says it's fully charged, I'd suspect the other non Canon battery.

If it doesn't, you either have two dodgy batteries or indeed, the charger is faulty.

If it's the batteries, you have some serious expense coming up.

If it's the charger, it's either a trip to Canon service or buy a third party charger, tho' how well they work, especially with a Canon battery, is anyones guess.

You're stuck with spending heaps, either way.

The alternative is to ignore what the led is telling you, stick the batteries on charge overnight and if they're fully charged in the morning (according to the camera), you're good to go.

Of course, there is always the chance in doing that that you'll cook the batteries.

Your call.

CS

Hameed Aabid April 17th, 2010 02:12 AM

Thanks Chris,

The only time the charger worked according to the manual was the very first time. It is the same with the Canon battery. I just checked the canon battery that I had charged for few hours, and it was about 75% as per camera indicator. I'll leave it for another few hours to see if the LED goes to solid. I noticed this last week on a gig when I tried to charge the battery during the dinner break, so I doubt it is the replacement battery's doing.

I'll buy a replacement charger tomorrow if the place is open on sundays or order one online online. It is around AU$40 either way. I would like to fix the original charger issue at one stage, though. I bought this camera imported so I doubt Canon service centre be of any help... and if I send the charger to vendor for repairs, the postage would cost me probably half as much as a new replacement charger...

Thanks for your help :)