Shooting in the snow at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 27th, 2009, 06:19 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Shooting in the snow

Just wondering if anyone can offer tips from experience shooting in the snow. We have a shoot coming up in 25-30 degree weather w/ a good change of snowfall. Shooing XHA1 and looking at something like this:

Porta Brace | POL-MVX200/XH Polar-Mitten Camera | POL-MVX200/XH

Necessary? Alternatives? Other tips?

Thank you all!

-K
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:17 AM   #2
Trustee

If you search "snow" here you'll find a wealth of info. There are some things to consider.

If you're shooting only down to 25F, you won't need a mitten. A rain cover will suffice. You'll want a pair of snug fitting gloves. The poly fabric gloves don't work. I bought a pair of lined lambskin gloves and I can manipulate the rings and major manual controls. I still have to take them off for the small toggles.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 2nd, 2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

You should be able to shoot down to near 0 degrees F before "needing" A polar portabrace. I use just the Rain slick when its snowing hard. Also if its cold out and snowing you really don't need any cover as the snow just blows off the camera. If its 25 degrees or warmer and snowing cover the camera because it will get wet. I have shot in the -10 range with the rain slick and a bunch of hand warmers ducktaped to it.
Craig Stay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2009, 09:27 AM   #4
Major Player

We shot this product video when it was about 14 deg. outside. Very cold. The camera performed flawlessly.

Snow Brum Product Video - from Stylin' Trucks. By Will Mahoney On ExposureRoom
Will Mahoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:56 PM   #5
New Boot

I bought that polar cover for a ski shoot and returned it after. All you need is a garbage bag. One hole at the lens and one for the eyepiece. Tape around the holes and you should be good to go.
Michael Malagon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders