Canon XH-A1 DV/TV in? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old February 28th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Canon XH-A1 DV/TV in?

Hey,
I have a Canon XH-A1.
I can't figure out how to go out from a tv (component or composite) into my camera and capture it.
I also can't figure out how to go from my editing software (APP4) out to my camera and capture it.
Please help!
Thanks,
Kevin
Old February 28th, 2009, 07:20 PM   #2
Trustee

You can record composite standard def by using the av1 terminal and the av cable that came with the camera --- it has yellow (video), red and white (audio) rca plugs on it....use the camera in VCR mode (controls under the door on the top handle). Use menu setup in vtr mode to select sd in signal setup, and hmm, I don't have my manual, check the manual whether you use av>dv on or off, I forget. You need to have a video signal present for the recorder to recognize the functions....

The Premiere output question: Check out file >export > export to tape, get the help file, it has all the details, depends upon whether you can control your deck from Premiere or it's an uncontrolled deck.

/Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team

Last edited by Battle Vaughan; February 28th, 2009 at 07:40 PM. Reason: addendum
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 08:05 PM   #3
Trustee

Ok, found the manual on line, check page 106 for info on the hookup, page 99 for a diagram. The av>dv is off in this application. Set your audio setup to DV Audio, select 12 or 16 bit, then it's just like any other video tape recorder...controls under the door on top of the handle, and the main power switch to vcr position....btw 12 bit is if you are copying from a betacam or whatever that does 32k, 12 -bit, premiere will want 16 bit.... good luck / bvaughan
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2009, 10:40 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks a lot!
Old March 14th, 2009, 06:49 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hopefully the info on recording is the same for the XH A1s

Thanks for this thread. I hope to get an XH A1s in the near future and will keep this thread handy

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders