DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   SM3 mount broken on first use - how to fix? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/144993-sm3-mount-broken-first-use-how-fix.html)

Jonathan MacDonald March 3rd, 2009 09:25 AM

SM3 mount broken on first use - how to fix?

1 Attachment(s)
Not sure if this is in the right place but I'm an XHA1s user!

Has anyone ever come across this before? Used the mount with an NTG2 microphone fitted with the deluxe windshield - only purchased and this was its first use. The hot shoe adaptor parted company with the shock mount (see attached photo) after a couple of hours.

Looking at the photos, am I missing anything that I need to fix it or should I just use a drop of glue?!

Jonathan

Mark Fry March 3rd, 2009 09:39 AM

The SM3 seems rather fragile. I bought one recently and found that the plastic around the swivel joint was broken when I took it out of the bag! I've written to the retailer but not had a reply yet (must chase them up). I think it's cheap for a reason...

(I guess this thread probably belongs in the Audio forum, but I probably wouldn't have seen it there...)

Marcel D. Van Someren March 3rd, 2009 10:55 AM

looks like a job for JB-Weld

Colin McDonald March 3rd, 2009 11:12 AM

Looks to me as if the metal screw that holds it together may have come out or the socket it goes into has become stripped.

I would contact Rode - I had two SM3s replaced free. Both broke around the swivel joint. (I had asked Rode if they did spares for it and they offered a replacement after I filled in a form).

Darin Clifton March 3rd, 2009 11:14 PM

1 screw loose

The small metal plate inside the bottom of the top half ( behind the 4 small holes ) is threaded to accept a small screw. The screw must have fallen out. You should be able to replace the screw - I'd agree to call Rode & let them replace it or at least send parts.

Zack Whittington March 6th, 2009 11:25 AM

yes, they're cheaply made

mine broke too, because a friend was messing with it. The plastic at the swivel broke. I tried gluing it with some epoxy to no avail. Finally, I emailed Rode and they sent me a new one. Now I'm very careful with it and don't hand it to idiots.

Brian David Melnyk March 7th, 2009 04:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
i took a mic stand and sawed off a 6 inch piece, used pipe insulating foam to cover the pipe the length of the shockmount, then drilled holes for a bolt that actually threads into the rode shockmount. the shockmount is seated on the foam (for better insulation against vibrations), and i wrapped electrical tape around the remaining pipe so it fits perfectly in the XH-A1 mic holder and capped it with a wine cork. i think it is more solid than the hot shoe.