Need help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 5th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Need help!

Could someone please tell me how to connect 2 xha1's and dub a tap. Or call me at 618-214-1759.

Thanks,

John
John Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:24 AM   #2
Major Player

Not sure what you are asking here. Are you asking how to connect two A1s for a live shoot?

Are you asking how to take edited footage from both cams and create a new tape?

JS
John Stakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 12:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Tape

I want to take a tape with footage on it and connect to another XHA1 and dub the footage to a blank tape.

Thanks,
John
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Major Player

John, if you find out, please post the results here as I need to do the same thing. I previusly started a thread called "Best way to Preserve footage". If you check that thread you will see alternate ways to back-up your footage. But like yourself, I simpy want to record from one camera to the other. From what I understand, one camera will need to be on play and the other on record. But i'm not sure how they get connected.
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 02:29 PM   #5
Trustee

Never done this, but looks like you could set one up for hdv out (page 109 of manual) and one as hdv record (page 106). Rather than trying to paraphrase it, let me point you to the manual in the stickies at the head of this thread.....we have done something similar with Sony HDV tape decks, I can't see why this would be any different..../Battle Vaughan/miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I'm not sure about XHA1 to XHA1 but it easy to do in most video editing software, in Pinnacle Studio for instance capture footage into timeline (via firewire) as you normally would do, then in Make Movie select Tape as output (and XHA1 as output device) to copy back to a clean tape in your XHA1, put XHA1 into Play mode and press Rec (under handle flap) when software is ready to output. I suspect the same method is used when two XHA1s are connected together via firewire but I've never tried this. You can also do the same thing with a Canon HV20 where the manual describes this as Digital Video Dubbing (p70), theres not much mention of it in the XHA1s manual but it can definitely be done from a PC.
Brian Pratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 06:36 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Hi guys..............

It's easy...................

Simply connect the two cams using a Firewire 4 pin to 4 pin cable.

Put both cams into VCR mode.

Line up your tapes and hit play on the source and record on the destination cameras.

Page 103 - HDV/ DV In.

Not exactly obvious but it's there.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 06:51 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Ok

Chris,

Thanks for the reply and yes that's what i thought also. This was no big deal on xl1s, xl2. Anyway on page 106 is the HVD/Dv in setup, but don't forget to look over page 108. If the recording camera, under signal setup, is set to the av>dv ON it will not receive a signal through the dv connection. So now that this has been turned off will get back with results.

Thanks,

John
Old March 5th, 2009, 10:03 PM   #9
Major Player

When you capture to your editing software and then output to a Dv tape, is the new tape something that can be recapurted and then editied again?
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2009, 11:34 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Hi Kevin.............

As far as I know, if it's captured to a DV tape it's pure DV, so yes, it can be re - captured if required.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders