DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Sound problems with XH-A1 (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/145273-sound-problems-xh-a1.html)

Emiel Labree March 6th, 2009 04:50 PM

Sound problems with XH-A1

Haven't really been noticing this because sound wasn't such a big issue for the things i shot. But i'm noticing a lot of static on both the internal mic and external mic. Attenuator is off, controls are set to manual and both channels are midway.

Tried two different XLR-cables, but as both internal and external mic have the same static i'm ruling problems with the cables out.

I have uploaded an example: Geluidstest on Vimeo

(it could still be converting)

Canon XH-A1 was bought in may 2007. Couldn't find any known issues quickly. Anybody got an idea?

Michael Hutson March 6th, 2009 04:57 PM

AGC is off also?
Is the static present in playback also?

IF AGC is off and you are not peeking the audio....you may have a problem.

Emiel Labree March 6th, 2009 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michael Hutson (Post 1023590)
AGC is off also?
Is the static present in playback also?

Yes, also present in playback.

Quote:

IF AGC is off and you are not peeking the audio....you may have a problem.
AGC is off and no peeking in the audio.

Any known issues with certain serial numbers perhaps? Could this be (easily) fixed by a repairdesk?

Marcel D. Van Someren March 6th, 2009 10:27 PM

Emiel,

I listened to the audio and it sounded like the AT897 shot gun mic you are using produced a lot more hiss than the onboard mic. The sad fact is that many sub $1,000 shotgun microphones can produce quite a bit of self noise that comes from the pre-amp in the mic.

I have an Audio Technica shotgun mic as well that I use on my A1. It's the longer 15 inch model (I don't remember the model number) and when it's very quiet I can hear some hiss as well. It's really not noticable during normal shoots.

I believe that your mic runs off a battery or phantom power. I also know that the mic performs a little better running on phantom power. Double check to make sure your mic can use phantom power. If so, remove the battery and turn on the phantom power on the A1.

If you can, try connecting a dynamic mic to the A1 and see if the hiss is still there. It shouldn't be since the dynamic mic doesn't have a pre-amp like AT897 which uses a condenser mic. I've done that test and, at least in my case, the hiss went away. Of course the condenser mic, overall had a better sound for what I was using it for.

By the way, thanks for making me practice my Dutch! I'm still a little rusty but I think I understood most of it. LOL. (originally from Den Haag many years ago)

Emiel Labree March 7th, 2009 03:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel D. Van Someren (Post 1023699)
Emiel,
I listened to the audio and it sounded like the AT897 shot gun mic you are using produced a lot more hiss than the onboard mic. The sad fact is that many sub $1,000 shotgun microphones can produce quite a bit of self noise that comes from the pre-amp in the mic.

In Vegas i pushed the db even higher to make it hearable. It this really normal for levels about midway? I'm not really hearing a difference in hiss, but i'm no professional.

Quote:

I believe that your mic runs off a battery or phantom power. I also know that the mic performs a little better running on phantom power. Double check to make sure your mic can use phantom power. If so, remove the battery and turn on the phantom power on the A1.
I'm on phantom power.

Quote:

By the way, thanks for making me practice my Dutch! I'm still a little rusty but I think I understood most of it. LOL. (originally from Den Haag many years ago)
Hehe, it's just me mumbling and getting disorientated by the delay through the headphones.

Emiel Labree March 7th, 2009 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcel D. Van Someren (Post 1023699)
I listened to the audio and it sounded like the AT897 shot gun mic you are using produced a lot more hiss than the onboard mic.

Tested at a louder volume and you're right. The external mic is producing much more hiss. How to solve this?

And BTW, you're correct is the AT897.

Emiel Labree March 7th, 2009 07:59 AM

With a battery in AT897 the hiss is gone!

Marcel D. Van Someren March 7th, 2009 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emiel Labree (Post 1023829)
With a battery in AT897 the hiss is gone!

Well that actually makes sense. According to what i've read on the mic, phantom power increases the sensitivity of the mic. I'm assuming that is because there is more voltage from phantom power than the battery. The pre-amp has more power and could be causing some of the hiss.

Regardless, I'm glad to hear that you've solved your problem.