DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Ch1 & Ch2 Independent Audio Controls? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/146084-ch1-ch2-independent-audio-controls.html)

Gabe Spangler March 18th, 2009 04:55 AM

Ch1 & Ch2 Independent Audio Controls?

I'm aware that with the A1 you can't control the Ch1 and Ch2 audio levels independently unless you have two mics plugged in. With one mic, the levels for Ch1 and Ch2 are linked, unfortunately.

But ... has anyone devised a cheat to have a single mic plugged into the Ch1 input and control the Ch1 and Ch2 levels independently so that one channel can be recorded lower to account for unexpected loud situations? Or any other advice that doesn't involve expensive mixers or using two mics?

I find it strange that Canon allows you to split out the mic to both channels but doesn't let you adjust the levels independently. Certainly not good for indie filmmakers.

Petri Kaipiainen March 18th, 2009 05:19 AM

Yes, a simple splitter cable from one mic to two mic inputs.

Mike Demmers March 18th, 2009 05:41 AM

Like this: Audiogear.com

Les Wilson March 18th, 2009 06:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gabe Spangler (Post 1029576)
I'm aware that with the A1 you can't control the Ch1 and Ch2 audio levels independently unless you have two mics plugged in. With one mic, the levels for Ch1 and Ch2 are linked, unfortunately.

Maybe I don't understand what you are saying. Page 48 and 49 of the manual describe how to setup the audio block so that each input is recorded on separate channels (CH1). When in M mode, the volume of each is controlled by the individual volume dials on the camera.

Petri Kaipiainen March 18th, 2009 07:52 AM

In XH-A1 original non-s version one volume dial controls both channels when one input line is directed to both channels. Ch2 potentiometer is idle. For that reason ch1 -> ch1+ch2 switch can not be used if the levels need to be separatelly adjusted. Thus arises the need for a splitter cable from single microphone.

In XH-A1s this design oversight has been corrected.

Gabe Spangler March 18th, 2009 09:20 AM

I suspected a splitter cable would be needed. Thanks guys!

Gabe Spangler March 19th, 2009 06:19 PM

For those of you who are interested, an XLR splitter is about $20 and can be found tons of places on the internet if you do a search.

Simply plug your mic into the splitter, and then plug in the two splitter plugs into Ch1 and Ch2 of your A1. And voila - you can control Ch1 and Ch2 audio levels independently!

Peppo Wagner March 20th, 2009 01:26 AM

Hello,

a question for those of you who are using a XLR splitter cable...

What about the phantom power using 1 mic with a splitter on 2 channels? Do you switch on both phantom power supplies or only 1?

I am using a splitter cable with the mic battery powered, which works fine, but I did not use it with the phantom power yet being afraid to destroy anything on the Cam.

Any experiences with that?

thx
PW

Gabe Spangler March 20th, 2009 01:59 AM

I'm assuming that you would only have phantom power on Ch1 and not Ch2, but I can't answer that definitively, Peppo. But from what I've heard on here, it's best to power the mic with the mic battery and not the camera's phantom power, as this give you the least amount of hiss. It seems the A1's phantom power is not ideal for all mics. But I haven't had any issues as of yet.

Artur Smiech March 22nd, 2009 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Petri Kaipiainen (Post 1029626)
In XH-A1s this design oversight has been corrected.

In XH A1s is the same :-(