The cons of the Canon XH A1s: Advice please!!!! - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 26th, 2009, 05:14 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick View Post
I'm interested in this obsession with turning off the Canon's OIS
The majority of the stuff I shoot is tripod / jib with 35mm DOF adapter.
So rarely do I ever use OIS.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:12 AM   #17
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian David Melnyk View Post
if you can do that on the XH-A1s, is it then a firmware fix? and if so, could one use this firmware with the XH-A1?
It's not a "fix," it's an additional feature. Maybe it can be done by firmware and maybe it can't -- we'll probably never know, because no such firmware update has been issued and I very seriously doubt there will ever be one. So, if you want OIS on a Custom Key, they way that you get it is to sell your XH A1 and buy an XH A1S. That's probably not what you wanted to hear, but... that's the way it is. Hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 07:20 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Thank you!!!!!

Hello all!!!!! Thanks for your (I'm sure somewhat biased) rave reviews!!!!

I'm so happy! I haven't bought it yet but today.... yes hopefully today. Attempting to find the best bargain. I can't WAIT!!!!

I can imagine I'll be on here asking loads of annoying pesky questions on colour and light soon!!!!!

WOoohoooO!

And yes I realise posting on the XH forum is like asking people how pretty and talented their wives are but I suppose it's one of those subconscious things... especially when you're about to marry the same woman... or um... something like that.
Ayesha Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:24 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
I'm interested in this obsession with turning off the Canon's OIS - are its visible artifacts so disturbing (only on a tripod presumably) that this needs to be done often? And does the camera offer four different OIS 'power settings' as the Z1 does, for instance?
when the camera is on the tripod with OIS, sometimes it tries to compensate for movement that isn't there (or tries to find movement...) and thus, actually creates a sort of pulsing jerk. i move from tripod to handheld and back on the fly, and sometimes forget to stop recording and go into the menu to switch it. some really delicate, priceless footage from Rwanda was ruined this way, as you can't really notice the jerking in the small viewers.

thanks for the response, Chris. $omeday i hope to have thi$ XH-A1 AND a new one...
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:36 AM   #20
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
I'm interested in this obsession with turning off the Canon's OIS - are its visible artifacts so disturbing (only on a tripod presumably) that this needs to be done often?
Yes. The OIS is so effective that it really needs to be turned off on a tripod, otherwise it works *too* good and fights your pans and zooms. This situation is very well documented throughout our various Canon boards here.

Quote:
And does the camera offer four different OIS 'power settings' as the Z1 does, for instance?
Nope. It does not. It's either on or off.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 08:54 AM   #21
Contributor

The OIS should be turned off when using a Steadicam too, as I discovered the hard way.

Ayesha, you mentioned trying to find the best bargain. Be very careful in that regard and only buy from a legitimate dealer with a good reputation. If you find a camera that's more than about 5% less than what B&H sells it for, then there's a good chance you'll end up paying more in the long run or that you may have a problem with the dealer, or the package you get may be incomplete. If you see a price that looks too good to be true when compared with other dealers, then that should be a warning.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:01 AM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd View Post
otherwise it works *too* good and fights your pans and zooms.
My previous camera's hardly gave a issue in that case but with the canon if I do a pan when the camera is on the tripod and when I stop panning it sometimes compensates. In some case it looks like some kind of jerky movement which occurs even when the camera doesn't move. Sometimes, especially when zoomed in, it can be so obvious it will ruin the shot.

if time allows I always disable ois on when working on a tripod but if I have to switch between tripod, handheld and back again quickly I leave it on. Then there's just no time going though the menu each time and I have to take the unwanted movements into account.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Pryor View Post
If you find a camera that's more than about 5% less than what B&H sells it for, then there's a good chance you'll end up paying more in the long run or that you may have a problem with the dealer, or the package you get may be incomplete.
I'm guessing Excited Ayesha of London will be buying in England, and in all my time of buying through the post and via the internet I've never once heard of the scams that you USA people have to be so wary of.

We simply buy on a credit card and claim on that card if things go wrong. If the dealer fights this they lose the ability to sell on credit - in other words they quickly go under. It's a very simple method of keeping everybody on the straight and narrow.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:11 PM   #24
Regular Crew

Erm... *looks around skittishly* what if you got the best deal by offering cold hard cash at the London based showroom of the dealer where you will be going tomorrow to pick up said Camera and hand over said cash?
Old March 26th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Stop looking furtive. Why not buy on a 2% cash-back credit card? That way you get the backup of the card co as well as putting £30 in your pocket. Of course if you use CHC (cold hard cash) you'll still get Canon's guarantee.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:20 PM   #26
Contributor

If the dealer has a legitimate showroom in London, then the likelihood is good that he's legitimate. Most of the scams in the U.S. involve online merchants. If everything's packaged up in the Canon box with all the paperwork, etc., then it's legitimate. If the dealer's showroom is the back seat of his car, then I'd be worried.:)
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:14 AM   #27
Regular Crew

Thanks guys. Yeah the showroom is a legitimate actual place with an address and a phone that they actually pick up. I think the only reason I got a good deal was because they are a generic electronics company as opposed to a specific broadcast equipment company. I'll be picking up my A1s and may grab a toaster or a kettle too.
Old March 27th, 2009, 09:09 AM   #28
Regular Crew

The small LCD is my biggest gripe. I ended up using one of the Hoodman magnifiers so I could focus.
Old March 27th, 2009, 12:51 PM   #29
New Boot

My main gripe with the camera is the audio inputs.
If you use the XLR input and want to switch back to the onboard mic, you have to pause the recording, go to the menu and switch off the XLR input.

With our old XL1s and XL2, there are switches on the side of the camera you can switch at anytime to change your audio inputs.
Manny Desantos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2009, 03:37 PM   #30
Contributor

If you need to switch to an on-camera mic it's best to use a short shotgun mounted on the camera instead of the built-in mic, in my opinion. I keep one on all the time just for recording ambient sound. It goes into channel 1, my wireless into channel 2; and if I'm shooting an interview, I can pull the shotgun off and put it on a fishpole, although I have a second mic I usually use for that purpose.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders