The cons of the Canon XH A1s: Advice please!!!! - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 30th, 2009, 03:49 PM   #31
Major Player

Is the A1S viewfinder better than the A1? My biggest issue is setting focus on the A1, which I find very difficult. Resolution isn't there to nail it without zooming in and magnifying.
Roger Shealy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 06:44 PM   #32
Go Cycle

And they fixed the mic. holder with better screws.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Busby View Post
I believe you're mistaken, Tripp. OIS CAN be assigned to a button. Also the audio issue you mention is what it should be now,
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:23 AM   #33
New Boot

Hi everybody !

This is my first post here and I want to talk about the Canon XH-A1s, especially the price. I am looking for the XH-A1s since last december. Here in Québec ,there are few shops that you can buy professionnal camcorders. Around January 15 th, the price of the XH-A1s was 3499 $ CAD at a shop called L L Lozeau in Montreal. That is around 2800 $ US. I was very surprised by this awesome price. In middle March, the price was 3699 $ CAD which is, to me, still very good. But this morning, I went to the site and the price was 4499 $ CAD !!!
I just couldn't believe that !!!
So, my question is, should I wait to the summer to buy it or is it just the normal price for this fantastic camcorder ? Thank you for reply !!

-Frank

( Sorry, my english is not perfect )
Frank Rousso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 09:59 AM   #34
Inner Circle

You've got to ask yourself what $4500 CAD will buy you in the Sony, JVC and Panasonic shop. It may be that Canon have overstepped the mark a bit as a $1kCAD price increase on an oldish camera seems a bit steep.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:10 AM   #35
Trustee

B&H sells the XH-A1s for $3600 U.S., and that converts to $4500 Canadian. Therefore, the current price seems right at your Canadian shop.

The XH-A1 -- the older model -- sells (sold) for $1000 U.S. less. Are you sure the first price you saw wasn't for the XH-A1 (old model)?

That said, if you find a price that is much below the B&H price, it is very possible the dealer is not reputable and not upfront about what you are really getting.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:16 AM   #36
New Boot

Thanks Tom,

Well, the fact is, I am not in a hurry to buy a camcorder and i'm patient. My mind is really on the XH-A1s, I think I should wait to the summer. But I can't understand why the price raised 1K in 4 months...

-Frank
Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:26 AM   #37
New Boot

Hi Jack !

I'm 100 % sure that it wasn't the XH-A1, it was the XH-A1s at 3499 $ CAD. I went to that shop and it is an authorized Canon dealer. It is not a scam like a Pro Nation Photo. I know that B and H has good prices for camcorders , anyway, I think i'll wait...
Thanks Jack !
Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:33 AM   #38
Trustee

It's possible that the lower price was a mistake.

In any case, if you're not in a hurry, something even greater may come out in the next few months!
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 10:41 AM   #39
New Boot

I'm going to wait few months, maybe sometime I will wake up and look on the ground and I will see a beautiful brown cardboard box with XH-A1s written on it ... Just kidding !

Thanks again Jack !
Old April 5th, 2009, 06:11 AM   #40
New Boot

Prices grow and grow in Poland. I bought my XH A1s for 13200 PLN in February. The price exceeded 14500 in March and now it's about 16000.
Old April 6th, 2009, 10:46 AM   #41
Tourist

Jack, I can confirm the sudden price increase you saw at l.l.lozeau. Thankfully for me, I price matched the $3600 Can price at another Canadian retailer just hours before the price went up to $4500

However the xh a1s is available on sale at vistek.ca (great store) for $4000 Can (regular price is $4800 Can). I don't believe you will see the camera for sale in Canada for much less then $4000 anytime soon.

Canon XH A1S HDV Camcorder Kit Pro Camcorders 3238B001 HDV10 - Vistek Canada Product Detail
Brad Biggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 02:01 PM   #42
New Boot

Hi Brad !
Lucky you are !!! I wish I could find the same price somewhere on internet. Vistek seems to be a very good web site to buy. Anyway, I am looking everyday for the prices and I think I'll wait another few months. Did you purchase the camcorder from Vistek or another shop in Canada ?

- Frank
Old April 7th, 2009, 01:43 PM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ayesha Khan View Post
Hi there,

After MUCH research and absolutely no hands on experience with it (eep!), I've almost decided that I am going to buy the A1s, BUT before I do I wanted to know a list of the pet peeves and cons that this camera has to offer.

I also wanted to clarify that it is actually a side load camera. (one of those things I'd kick myself for if I didn't check).

Lastly, what is the warranty that comes with the Camera, is there an extension you can get with Canon and would you recommend extending the warranty.

CHEERS!

Cons:

1. Tape based

2. HDV codec

3. slightly high image noise levels

4. low light sensitivity slightly low

5. factory warranty not as good as some, but probably not even an issue as the A1s improved the most fragile features

6. very small flip out viewfinder

7. focus is a little hard to get perfect because of the small viewfinder (and my aging eyes)

8. IAF can tend to ocassionally do a quick hunt, so manual focus has to be used in certain situations

9. no 60P or 720P

Except for those few cons, it's a great camera.

It is certainly the best tape based HDV camera available.
Old May 18th, 2009, 11:25 AM   #44
Major Player

I find the XH A1 focus ring a bit jumpy sometimes, sometimes it's tricky to get it right on to the focus distance you want. Often I overshoot the focus distance I want by quite a way. I set the focus speed to slow and it didn't help. Maybe I'm just too ham fisted but my cameraman complained about it during our last film as well
Old May 18th, 2009, 01:52 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Graham View Post
Maybe I'm just too ham fisted but my cameraman complained about it during our last film as well
I have a dvx100 and a xh-a1 and there is no comparison between the 2 when it comes to accurate focusing.
Correct manual focusing is very difficult with the xh-a1, the too small lcd doesn't help that much and the feedback you get from the distance meter in the viewfinder is a joke. I only wished the lcd was much bigger and had more resolution and that it was like the hvx200, square, keeping the camerainfo clutter out of the picture.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders