The cons of the Canon XH A1s: Advice please!!!! - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 18th, 2009, 08:44 PM   #46
Regular Crew

I find it pretty easy to nail the focus with my XH A1. Magnifying is not as good a tool as peaking. Switch that peaking on, zoom in, and adjust focus until you get peaking. With a little practice, you will know when you've hit critical focus. Use the viewfinder rather than LCD if you're in bright conditions. Don't forget you can hit the display button to get rid of all the picture settings on the LCD screen. Once I am dialed in, I often turn off all the LCD nonsense by hitting the display button on the side of the cam.
Gabe Spangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 12:03 AM   #47
Inner Circle

True, the focussing aids are good and as long as you got the time to set it up right it works. Only most of my work doesn't have the time to use those aids and I need to get it instantly right, then it can be a real pain. Getting rid of all lcd info feels like driving a f1 car at full speed and letting go the steering wheel :D I like to see what the camera is doing at all times.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 01:38 AM   #48
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
True, the focusing aids are good and as long as you got the time to set it up right it works.
Just so Noa, and I'll add a 'me too' to that as a run 'n' gunner. Shot a wedding last Saturday using the EX1 and omg what a difference over my Z1 - and it's all down to top-screen resolution. The EX1's screen is so sharp, so usable, and although not as bright as the Z1's screen in broad daylight, is an example to all as an unadorned focusing aid (especially so the XH-A1s).

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:07 AM   #49
Inner Circle

I was going to say ... "the addition of audio limiters in the A1S are a big improvement for me"

But it depends on which Canon info you read. Here they call it "Auto Gain Control (AGC) limit, increased gain levels and fine tuning."

Canon Professional Network - Canon XH G1S and XH A1S

Here on Canons site there's no mention of AGC let alone limiters.

Professional Camcorders - High Definition Camcorders and Lenses - Standard Definition Camcorders - Software - High Definition Camcorder - XH A1S - Canon USA Consumer Products

Would some kind soul with an A1S, please look in the menu and see if there's anything there?

Confused of Sydney.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 04:43 PM   #50
Regular Crew

Here is the A1s manual in searchable PDF form:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/030000...a1s-nim-en.pdf
Kelly Olsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2009, 05:47 PM   #51
Inner Circle

Thanks Kelly, yes independent limiters only in manual mode, that display just above the audio levels. Interesting to study that manual with the PAL A1.

Cheers.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 21st, 2009, 08:29 PM   #52
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Olsen View Post
Here is the A1s manual in searchable PDF form:

http://gdlp01.c-wss.com/gds/3/030000...a1s-nim-en.pdf
Thanks kelly, now I can study up before my A1s gets here in a few days!
Michael Kraus is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders