Captured 1080i is 4:3 perspective in after effects at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 26th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #1
New Boot

Captured 1080i is 4:3 perspective in after effects

Hello, does anyone know how to do this properly. I capture my footage using Sony Vegas 8 (as this is a slick problem free way of doing this). I then check out the file in Media player and all looks good. I then import the m2t file to after effects to add some graphics and enhancments and the perspective is 4:3. Is it a simple as I have to stretch the video to 16:9 or is there a proper way of importing this so AE knows it is an interlaced file.

If I manually stretch the file to 1920 vertical width (33.333% increase) will it look a bit rubbish. Is there an proper technique to doing this.

Many thanks

P.s Am using sony vegas as Premier Pro is a load of buggy rubbish for capturing footage from this beautiful camera.
Steve Quantrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:31 AM   #2
Major Player

The problem is that the video from the A1 or any HDV camera for that matter is 1440X1080 and uses rectangular pixels instead of square pixels. This is how a 1440X1080 image can fill a 1920X1080 HDTV screen.

What you need to do when you set up your new composition is to select the HDV 1080i setting. You can change the setting to make it 24f/p or leave it at 29.97i, for example, using the custom button to match the footage you have. That will then fill the full 16X9 aspect ratio.
Old March 26th, 2009, 11:09 AM   #3
New Boot

Hello, sorry I think I must be missing something here....ok...

I create a new composition and select the 1080i option. This sets the width and height to 1440 x 1080. The pixel aspect ratio is then by default 'HDV 1080/DVCPRO HD 720 (1.33) and says next to it Frame Aspect Ratio 16:9. Is this correct??

When I click ok the composition is 4:3 still.
Old March 26th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #4
Major Player

Well, there must be something wrong as I just did this last night. Working with an m2t. In fact, I made the same mistake that you made at first. Then I realized I picked the wrong setting.

Make sure you delete all of the previous compositions in the column on the left or you might be dropping your video into the wrong /old one.

In fact, start from scratch. Close down AE and then start over. If you're already done this, then there's something missing. I'm not at home so I can't go in and look.

Oh, also make sure that "squre pixel" isn't checked.
Old March 26th, 2009, 03:58 PM   #5
New Boot

Hmmm. I will keep plucking away at it, thanks buddy. There must be something not right with my AE. (or me of course).

Cheers
Old March 26th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #6
New Boot

Just sorted it I think buddy.

I was creating a composition not with the footage on the stage. Basically I dragged the clip to create a new comp. Then change the settings to DVCPRO 1080. Had to adjust the settings of the comp to 1920 and the clip moves with it. Sorted I think, well it all looks clear as it should. Thanks again!
Old March 26th, 2009, 05:24 PM   #7
Major Player

Well I guess that's one way of doing it. The way I do it is import the footage. Then go to create new comp (with those settings I previously mentioned). Then once that's set, drag the footage into the comp.

As long as your end results are what you want, that's all that matters.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders