Why not a backpack? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old March 27th, 2009, 02:40 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Why not a backpack?

Hi there,

Sorry to be posting all these questions all over the place but I really am doing lots of searches too! I have been reading some of the responses to another backpack question and it seems many members suggest against getting one unless you're going hiking etc.

Just wondered why. I feel I can carry weight better on my back than across my shoulder or in my hand for a long time. Kata do a range of backpacks which seem like they'd be protective and which SEEM to have a lot of room for extra kit.

I'm looking to get one instead of a hard case or a shoulder bag. They also do sun and rain protectors to go over the top. Considering I'm quite tall (for a girl) and prone to back issues when carrying unbalanced weight, is there really any problems in getting a backpack to lug my camera wherever I may need it? Will my new baby (the A1s) be safe in a backpack?
Ayesha Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:02 AM   #2
Major Player

Ayesha,

I take the Canon matte box off the camera and it fits neatly inside the Lowepro Flipside 300 Lowepro - Flipside 300

This type of backpack is virtually impossible to open whilst on the back (stops pickpockets), the only down side may be not a lot of room for accessories

Bob
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #3
Major Player

I use a backpack, and one of the reasons is that I need to have the weight evenly distributed across my shoulders. I bought a Lowepro slingshot for my Sony A1, which is a pretty small camera. But even that small weight carried basically on one shoulder for an hour gives me problems.

The two reasons for not using a backpack are
a) if you want easy access to the camera at any time, it's a pain getting the backpack off, opening it, getting the camera out etc.
b) backpacks can potentially be opened by a thief without you neccesarily realising it (in a crowd anyway) so you need to get one that you can't open while it is on your back - Lowepro do one of those too - can't remember the name of it offhand - but you can open it while it is still attached by the waistband, so you don't have to put it on the ground.

Edit - yeah - Bob's got it - the Flipside
Old March 27th, 2009, 03:16 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for that guys!

Bob: Does the Lowepro 300 sit on your waist like a back pack should? As in is the body of thte bag long enough? It's not vital but just wondering. I suppose I REALLY should get one that doesn't open from the back though...
Ayesha Khan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 04:11 AM   #5
Major Player

I think you should try one out because it depends on your size, but it does have a waist strap as well I forgot to mention it has a small pouch to help strap a monopod on the back.
Bob Thompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 27th, 2009, 01:04 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I just lugged my A1 around for about a week in a backpack, and had no issues. I pikced up a Tenba Shootout bag, which is a large SLR bag, but fits the A1 and some accessories ok. It also has a rain cover, which came in useful one day - although, the way the bag is built, the rain cover might not be needed except in the heaviest rain.

It was great for trekking several blocks with all my gear, but it became a liability if I was shooting in a tight spot. Eventually, I settled on hauling my gear to the editing room in the backpack, and lugging the camera mounted on the tripod when I had to go shoot. I don't think I would have gone this route if I did not have a safe place to leave my bag though. Still, I think I would prefer the backpack over a hard case. Oh yeah, my guess is about 30 - 35 lbs. with camera, batteries, cords & cables, mic, and tripod...
Jay Bratcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 28th, 2009, 09:18 PM   #7
New Boot

I film mainly ski movies and hiking, i use a cinibag CineBags | CB-25 Revolution Backpack | CB-25 | B&H Photo Video I once fit 2 xh 6 batteries a 5 pack of tapes the charger, wide angle, and a tripod on the back of it. When just carying your stuff it should have plenty of room in all the compartments. the main pocket opens from the inside(against the back) has a harder shell around the outside with all the dividers you could ever need. I used it hiking close to 5 miles, More comfortable on my back then my real backpacking bag. I once even fell straight on my back when hiking down an icy mtn slide, feared for the worse but couldnt find any damage to anything. I would recomend this to ANYONE with an xh (or any other similar sized camera) who shoots outside or has to travel distances with it.
Alex Savarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 31st, 2009, 05:55 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Lowepro Flipside 300

I use the Flipside 300 as well. It will hold my A1 with the lens hood mounted, or the A1 with the wide-angle without its hood. It also has enough room for my AT825 mic to be place inside, plus my grey card and collapsible lcd hood. as well. My grey card fits in the inner sleeve, and the mic cord and extra tape in the outside zipped pocket. The other mesh pocket works well for a water bottle.

It seems very comfortable and is good for times when you want to keep things compact and have to do a lot of walking or traveling. Even with a monopod the weight is distributed pretty good. It worked well for me around a lot of people at Comic-con, and it is nice for long walks to waterfalls. Its a nice size to take on airplanes too.

I tried the Flipside 400, which has a more robust belt and straps, but didn't like it. It offered a little bit more room, but it made securing the camera inside so it didn't more a lot more award. It also felt a little to bulky for the slight increase in room.
Christopher Neville is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 03:28 PM   #9
Regular Crew

I use a pack made by Burton Snowboards. It is very comfortable and fits a few accessories. I did have to take the microphone holder off though.
Burton.com

They also make this larger bag. I have never used it but have heard great things:
Burton.com

Both these packs are made to be used in the mountains so you can be sure they provide plenty of support.
Joe Gaetani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 09:18 AM   #10
New Boot

Petrol PMCK1 backpack is the one I use and love.
Derek Shantz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders