Keeping the camera level - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:50 PM   #16
Regular Crew

I looked at the spiderbrace, but my style is very heavy on constantly changing angles on the fly and holding the camera at different heights, so something like the spiderbrace doesn't look like it would work for me a lot of times.
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2009, 07:56 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I also need my left one hand free because I do a lot of zooming in and out and fast camera moves.
Old April 4th, 2009, 12:38 PM   #18
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fessak View Post
I also need my left one hand free because I do a lot of zooming in and out and fast camera moves.

I just got in a Spiderbrace 2 and one of these

Libec | ZC-3DV Mountable Zoom Control | ZC-3DV | B&H Photo Video

One review
I plugged it into the back of my Canon XH-A1 and it worked like a charm Very convenient when your camera is up on sticks and you don't feel like reaching around for the zoom and on/off button.
I don't know how I lived without it now!

These two are suppose to work well together.....

Maybe next weekend I will try these out... no time this weekend.
Brian Lakusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2009, 12:00 AM   #19
Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel Fessak View Post
I looked at the spiderbrace, but my style is very heavy on constantly changing angles on the fly and holding the camera at different heights, so something like the spiderbrace doesn't look like it would work for me a lot of times.
Daniel, have you looked at the Steady Stick? I have the same trouble keeping this camera level, plus I needed to be changing heights on the fly. My only complaint with it is that there is some play at the coupler, but I've got a machinist pal who's going to fix that for me. And for $99 I can't complain.
Old April 7th, 2009, 06:46 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I never heard of the steady stick before. I looked at the video on the page and it seems kind of awkward. Is it comfortable? It also seems like it may help educe any shaking.
Old April 7th, 2009, 07:13 PM   #21
Wrangler

With a little practice I reached a point where I didn't feel like it was that awkward. Limited? Definitely, but not too bad for such an inexpensive piece of gear. As far as comfort, in the position I wanted it was digging into my hip so I cinched it up a bit and got used to using it in that position. Might be different for a guy--I don't know.

You're right; it helps a fair amount with keeping the shot steady while walking. You can move the handle around to make it act like a tiny crane, which is sort of cool for a particular [tiny] shot. (That might be in the video; if so, forgive me.)

If I get the play problem taken care of I'll be happier with it, but even now it's not bad.
Old April 9th, 2009, 01:59 AM   #22
Major Player

Some 25 years ago I adapted a monopod and belt to do the same job, it worked fairly well for stills. I resurrected it for doing video from a boat, and in cramped situations where there was no chance of using a tripod, or even a monopod fully extended.
Old April 9th, 2009, 05:58 AM   #23
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan Black View Post
Why the Cartoni Focus Tripp, did you try any other sticks first?
Allan... I started with a Libec that I recall cost about US$400 and they just didn't cut it at all.

I didn't really have the opportunity to try or rent other tripods since I'm a couple of hours away from any real city. So I went on an extensive research project to find the best bang for the buck. I cannot be certain that I achieved that goal but I am more than pleased with my choice. Following the action on the track yields much smoother moves than before and I can get some lusciously slow moves for nature work. Overall, it works.

I did consider Miller and the Vinten Vision and probably would have gotten the Vinten if I'd had a bigger spend.
Tripp Woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #24
Regular Crew

I'm with Tripp on this one. Started with a real cheap tripod, through a few Manfrotto's and ended up with a Vinten vision 3 with a Bebop lanc controller. It does all i want, wich can't be said from the cheaper tripods. It's a lot of mney, but really well spent.
The lowest i would consider is a Libec LS38.

For trackdays/racing you need lots of zooms and quick pans wich suddenly stops. It's there where a good tripod isn't good enough.
Hubert Duijzer is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders