XHA1 Fire wire vs. USB at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 10th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #1
Major Player

XHA1 Fire wire vs. USB

I nned to do some editing but i dont have access to my normal computer. The I have does not have a fire wire port, only usb. I'm assuming that I can get an adapter to place on my firewire, so that i can plug it into the usb port. My question is: Will this work or will the usb be way to slow to the point where i cant use it. The fiitage is in HD but I could downconvert in nessasary. Any thoughts?
Kevin Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 03:53 PM   #2
New Boot

Why not just get a firewire card?
Larry Shilkoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2009, 07:31 PM   #3
Trustee

USB2.0 is fast enough for 25Mbps video data, assuming you can find a USB to FW adapter.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hello all, I just recieved my Firewire to USB2 in the mail today but am having trouble getting Sony Vegas 8 to read the XHA1. I keep getting an error saying the USB device not recognized. Could it be the wire? Or maybe my settings are incorrect?
I got tired of using FIREWIRE cables as the ones I have are just too thick and unflexible the slightest bump disconnects it from my camera.

Thanks in advanced!

-Xerxes

Last edited by Xerxes Sangco; April 11th, 2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: put wrong reason for error
Xerxes Sangco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 02:16 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I'm not aware of any USB device that will transfer DV or HDV. It's not really a speed question, but the design of the transfer protocol. Bottom line - you need firewire. FW cards are very cheap. If you have a laptop, PCMCIA or Expresscard to FW adapters are less than 100 bucks, and will work. Looking for a USB to FW adapter for this is just a waste of money.
Bill Engeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 08:20 AM   #6
Major Player

If it is the cable I think it is (Pixela) then it converts DV to MPEG1 and you have to use to proprietary software provided. The reason the cam doesn't show up in Vegas is simply because it doesn't exist as far as Windows is concerned.

Unless you buy a particular NLE for >$700 (Liquid?) you can't get DV into a PC via USB.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 11:11 AM   #7
Major Player

I bought a Firewire card for my PC on ebay. Cost me less than $10 + shipping.
Jacques E. Bouchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 01:53 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Hi,
I have a firewire pci card installed on muy PC and the Sony Vegas 8 recognizes perfectly my Canon XH A1 (and every camcorder I connect via firewire).
It is a cheap and easy solution.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders