Capturing to Pinnacle at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 11th, 2009, 12:45 PM   #1
New Boot

Capturing to Pinnacle

I'm trying to capture to Pinnacle, have the Canon XHA1...bought new

I have the 1394 cable...plugged in, was able to capture from another camera without problem.

PC running Windows Vista doesn't seem to recognize the XHA1 when I plug it in ..... as it does when I plug in other camera.

Any ideas what it going on or that I'm doing wrong??

Thanks in advance....
Mark Andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 02:00 PM   #2
Regular Crew

sounds like a vista issue, rather than pinnacle. If you search the forum for "vista", there's loads to read about capture problems for the XH with vista.

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd
Ian Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2009, 11:16 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Mark I use Pinnacle studio 11 in Vista 32 with my XHA1 and have no problem capturing using firewire.

Alan
Alan Craig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 12th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #4
New Boot

I will try and do a update for vista..... you know which driver/software I may need to download for Vista??

and I will search for the Vista issues on here...THANKS
Old April 13th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #5
Major Player

I have used Studio 11 with no problem at all - much easier than some other LNE's I've tried!

Have you tried plugging in the camera, switching it on, and re-start Vista see if it sees it then?
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 03:07 PM   #6
Trustee

Vista 32 doesn't need any additional drivers, my XHA1 is recognized with no problem. But among the 4 xha1's we have here, we have noticed that the firewire port is twitchy about connecting sometimes....you might attach the camera powered off, plug into the port, power on, and if it doesn't get recognized, try GENTLY wiggling the plug sideways ...not a lot, just to touch it a little to see if it makes contact. This has worked for us using OnLocation in the past .../ Battle Vaughan /miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 07:09 PM   #7
New Boot

Thanks I'll give it a try
Old April 13th, 2009, 10:01 PM   #8
Major Player

Try reinstalling the Pinnacle software with the camera turned on connected to the computer via firewire during installation. Can't speak from experience, but another forum mentioned something like this to get the camera to be recognized & working 100%.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:33 AM   #9
New Boot

OK...I've tried most everything I can think of. I have used 2 other cameras via Firewire port. No issues....the Canon HV30 is recognized when it is attached to the computer. The XHA1 is not.

OK next question, is new so will warranty cover this, and where do I get it repaired....I'm a newbie to all this??

And why would the Firewire port go out on a brand new camera, acctually it never worked, from the first time I tried it.

thanks for your time
Old April 23rd, 2009, 07:43 AM   #10
Regular Crew

there is a weakness in Canon's firewire port electronics. If you disconnect the cable with the XH still on or if you turn off the computer with the XH still on, there is a real risk of blowing up the XH's firewire circuitry. It happened to me and several other posters to these boards.

Before sending it back to Canon for repair, you should check it with another computer (if you haven't already), just in case. It should be covered under warranty, though perhaps it is so new that you can take it back to where you got it. If not, check Canon's website for repair centres near you.

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd

Last edited by Ian Wright; April 23rd, 2009 at 07:48 AM. Reason: added missing info
Ian Wright is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders