XHA1 Premiere CS4 Capture at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 13th, 2009, 04:40 PM   #1
New Boot

XHA1 Premiere CS4 Capture

Hi All,

I have some quick questions. Obviously I'm using an XHA1 and Premiere CS4. I've read around that since there's no need for the Canon HDV plug ins anymore to just use 30P for my 30F import if I have recorded at 30F.

I did this a few times before but, today I noticed that my footage is not at all nice. I'm getting heavy pixelation and the footage was rather well lit as I was outside and didn't have gain up at all. Has anyone else noticed this? Is there something I'm doing wrong?

Here's a link to a jpg of 100%:

http://www.patricksurace.com/output/deliver/badXHA1.jpg

As you can see the quality is also set to highest?

Any help would be appreciated.

Patrick
Patrick Surace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:43 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Are you using the trial version/download from there website. Cause if you are it will only allow Standard Definition...
Old April 13th, 2009, 05:50 PM   #3
New Boot

Nope, proud owner Adobe CS4 Master Collection...I have a 5D II also, can't use it without CS4, and I don't use Canons apps.
Patrick Surace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 13th, 2009, 08:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

What are you're render settings for the video? Make sure they stay the same when they are exported to the adobe media encoder thing. First time i did it, for some reason it changed them on me.
Old April 14th, 2009, 09:25 AM   #5
Trustee

One possibility is a bug in encoder, in which (for quicktime, not sure about others) it does not pick up the bitrate you set in Premiere output, and defaults to 1000 kbps; HDV needs 25000, so people have been scratching their heads about low-quality .mov output ...you have to re-set the bitrate in encoder before you output...afaik this affects any output mode in which the bitrate is selectable in Premiere.

They did not fix this in the .2 update, I made a point of it with Adobe support and they say they know about the problem. Knowing and fixing are two different things, apparently...../ Battle Vaughan /miamiherald.com video team
Battle Vaughan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 14th, 2009, 12:23 PM   #6
New Boot

Well....thanks for the help so far. Yes I noticed that media encoder does whatever it likes anyways. I always double check. While we're on that anyone ever figure out how to get media encoder to use the "work area bar"? If i have a sequence with 10 clips in it, and i set the work area bar to lets say, the 6th clip...it will start it from the beginning of the 6th clip as requested, but instead of ending at the end of that clip it sets the bar to the end of the sequence. Even if i reifix it back in media encoder it outputs the remainder of the sequence. My only solution for this is to put the clip i want to render into it's own sequence and render that out as a full sequence, very odd.

Back to the original point of this post...oddly enough this must be a Premiere problem, the jpg supplied above is only that bad IN premiere...rendered frames in After Effects are much nicer.

SO odd. one last thing....rendering anything compresed QT out of after effects amkes my movies have a milky overlay...really gross, any solutions there?

-Patrick
Patrick Surace is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders