DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Destroy built-in microphone? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/202429-destroy-built-microphone.html)

Christoffer Lantz April 15th, 2009 11:13 PM

Destroy built-in microphone?

Hi folks!

I've a Canon XH-A1 camera and i would like to ask you guys if it's possible to destroy or damage the microphone while filming a consert or something like that?

Thanks for the answers.

I didn't find any answer of this, I'm sorry if there is a thread already.

Pietro Impagliazzo April 15th, 2009 11:38 PM

I think only insane SPLs ( Sound pressure - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia ) would do that.

But they would also destroy your eardrums...

:)

Tom Hardwick April 16th, 2009 02:30 AM

I was forced to stand in front of a big DJ's speaker at one function and I could feel the wind from the sound pressure levels of the bass drivers. I was recording the audio from the mixing desk so wasn't too concerned (apart from a concern for my own hearing), and had the Sony limiter switched on in the FX1.

I'm sure I could hear the FX1's internal mic diaphragms 'bottoming out' on the audio as they reached their end stops, but there seems to have been no lasting ill effects I'm pleased to say. Apart from the tinnitus, that is ...

tom.

Jonathan Palfrey April 16th, 2009 07:16 AM

Yeah I agree your camera should be fine.

I recorded an event two months ago with a Z1 and I was standing next to some very large speakers most of the night. I put the audio down low on the Z1 but it still peaked and caused a clicking sound from the bass. Luckly I was also recording direct from the deck so it wasn't a problem. The camera seemed fine after so theres no danger.

Take care of your ears though, they are more likely to get damaged. I had some great headphones on that cut out most of the surrounding noise when I was filming seemed to had protected my ears alot as I had no effect after despite standing right next to the speaker all night.

Ian Wright April 17th, 2009 01:53 AM

I've been in front of those types of speakers too. I always wear ear plugs.

Does your video footage vibrate? I get that effect with my XH, probably caused by the (disabled) Image Stabilisation mechanism vibrating under the influence of the sound

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd

Larry Shilkoff April 17th, 2009 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom Hardwick (Post 1098936)
I was forced to stand in front of a big DJ's speaker at one function and I could feel the wind from the sound pressure levels of the bass drivers. I was recording the audio from the mixing desk so wasn't too concerned (apart from a concern for my own hearing), and had the Sony limiter switched on in the FX1.

I'm sure I could hear the FX1's internal mic diaphragms 'bottoming out' on the audio as they reached their end stops, but there seems to have been no lasting ill effects I'm pleased to say. Apart from the tinnitus, that is ...

tom.

You were probably hearing the audio amplifier in the camera clipping. I doubt anything was damaged.

Nick Gordon April 18th, 2009 02:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ian Wright (Post 1103061)
I've been in front of those types of speakers too. I always wear ear plugs.

Does your video footage vibrate? I get that effect with my XH, probably caused by the (disabled) Image Stabilisation mechanism vibrating under the influence of the sound

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd

I had the hard disk drop protection mechanism keep cutting in on my HG10 when I was in this position. But the sound was fine