DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Canon user friendly super guide? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/222963-canon-user-friendly-super-guide.html)

Ayesha Khan April 21st, 2009 12:39 PM

Canon user friendly super guide?

Hi there,

It's been a week or so since I've been playing around with my new A1. Although I'm getting to grips with it I think my brain is somewhat overloaded (admittedly quite happily so) and I have a billion questions which get answered more than half the time by going through or posting on these forums and looking online.

HOWEVER, with all the wonderful options the Canon gives you and the seemingly notorious humdrum nature of it's default settings, I was wondering if there might be some book that has a guide and detailed explanation of all (each and every one!) settings and options on my camera? I realise that many people would think this extreme and unnecessary but I enjoy understanding the technical aspects of production. (to a degree)

Although ideally I would like a book specific to the Canon A1, I can't seem to find one so a generic book may have to do.

I have seen about three DVD tutorials available but I suppose I would prefer a nice (and preferably easy) book so I can look things up when I need to.

I suppose I can continue to post here for clarification if nothing is available.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

Kevin Lewis April 21st, 2009 01:39 PM

Ayesha,

You have several options here. First of all, the fourm members here are great and they are very helpful. When I first got my XHA1 I went to expertvilliage.com and check searched Canon XHA1. There is a guy named Niah who has great tutorials. Eaach one is about 3 minutes in length. If you use the search feature within the dvinfo.net fourm, you will find that most of your questions as a newbie, have already been addressed in the past. I am still getting to know my XHA1 but one of the biggest pieces of advise I can give you is to mage sure that the Automatic Gain Control is off. Having it on can lead to a grainy picture. If you dont like the way your picture looks make sure that you are not using presets as they can drasitcally change the way your picture looks. Also of it seem that your built in mic has some some play in it, its because its suposed to. SOme new users get concerned when they notice what appears to be looseness in the mic. I would also suggest that you get to know your camera while using the easy or auto modes. Most people here seem to dislike the easy mode but it serves its purpose in the begining. I 'm sure that other fourm members will add to this thread and give you some addtionla advise. The XHA1 is a great camera and I think you will be pleased with it.

Kelly Olsen April 30th, 2009 02:27 AM

I too have looked for a DVD like Barry Green made for the DVX100 but none of them appear to be any good. I bought one and I would not recommend it. No good books or DVD's, really. find somebody near you who has one an pay them to share their knowledge.

Ayesha Khan April 30th, 2009 04:54 AM

yeah. i think i've figured that playing around with it is the best option available. I've shot stuff for broadcast on different cameras but thinking about it, i've decided broadcast isn't that fussy really and it really is a lot of point and shoot. (as walter murch said, emotion is the most important element) but yeah. loving my A1!!!! :)