DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Has anyone captured from component on xh a1 instead of hdv (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/234040-has-anyone-captured-component-xh-a1-instead-hdv.html)

Luke Garza April 25th, 2009 08:01 PM

Has anyone captured from component on xh a1 instead of hdv

I would llike to know how much better it is to capture this way and bypass the hdv compression. I was thinking of maybe into a mxo 2 or nanoflash so i can have a way better image. Has anyone done this and if so did you notice a huge difference and what way did you go about this. I plan on doing some documentary type stuff soon and would like not to record to hdv so can maybe take it big screen or any other uses that would benifit from the better image. I thought about buying a bigger camera with bigger sensor but everything is so expsensive i gonna wait for a scarlet but still would like to start now with what i have. I have scene very amazing footage come from the a1 so i figure i could capture into the 422 that comes out of the component for even better image to work with in post and overall. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Marcel D. Van Someren April 25th, 2009 09:34 PM

Take a look at this thread. You can judge for yourself:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/xh-series...-red-rock.html

Luke Garza April 26th, 2009 03:43 AM

I saw what you posted and it was very impressive but there is not talk of that he preffered capturing from component over hdv since he said he used both. So looking for someone who has done both or some comparisons of both.

Simon Denny April 26th, 2009 03:48 AM

I did a live to air gig with the XHA1 and could see no change in SDI vrs going to tape.
Just want to add that this was going to live screens. I also dont know if the A1 outputs 422 through SDI.
The image looked great when I had plenty of light and struggle in low light of course. At times I had the gain up at 12db and then like all 1/3" cameras the image suffered.

Dennis Murphy April 26th, 2009 03:10 PM

My understanding is that the A1 does indeed give 4:2:2 colour space from the component out.
Due to it having to be tethered to a computer etc, I can only see it as being particularly advantageous if you were doing green screen work... I'm not experienced with this, but understand that the extra colour information would make for pulling cleaner keys.
This is something that I'd love to hear from someone who's actually done it - green screen work with both HDV versus component out.
There is no SDI with the A1... just the G1 and XLH1.

Hoy Quan April 26th, 2009 04:26 PM

I am also interested in capturing component video out of the A1. There is a new device from AJA (Ki Pro) that should be able to take component or SDI and save and record straight to ProRes 422 HQ.

If this process works, we are looking at 4:2:2 10 bit from the A1 via tapeless acquisition on a portable device. The Ki Pro also has XLR inputs and should be able to capture far better audio than the compress HDV on the A1.

Sounds like a killer product if component out from an A1 is clean and uncompressed.

The AJA KI Pro is priced under $4,000, comes with a 250 gig cartridge and 2 Express Card memory slots. Delivery scheduled for June 2009. HD/SD SDI, HD Component, HDMI, 2 XLR inputs and outputs.

Also forgot to mention that there is a new MX02 mini priced around $450 that will handle component and HDMI though an express card adapter or PCI card.

Interesting times and options for us with component output in search of a better Codec and higher quality images.

Luke Garza April 26th, 2009 06:05 PM

Yeah i to also looked at the mxo 2 and kipro for that exact reason. Better audio capture and better video capture. So i hope someone here can let us know how it went if they tried this or comparison of the two. I also looked at nano flash but the kipro just amazed me at nab i just wonder how heavy it would be in a shoulder mount setting. I did talk to the zacuto guys and they said they will have mock ups on their site pretty soon with many cameras.

Hoy Quan April 26th, 2009 06:37 PM

I was looking at the Nano but the Ki Pro seems to be far more advanced for around the same relative cost. Granted there is more weight and it needs a battery but the Ki Pro does everything and AJA has an excellent track record.

If the A1 component can talk uncompressed to the Ki Pro, we have an incredible 4:2:2 10 bit I frame video + CD quality audio with this combo and no CMOS rolling shutter effects. A P2 card and audio mixer would pay for the Ki Pro.

I would also look at carrying the Ki Pro like an audio mixer in a separate bag with a battery and just run a cable up to the camera.

Component or SDI + XLR -> Ki Pro, Audio monitoring from the Ki Pro, line in back to the camera. My guess is the audio preamps on the Ki Pro would be a lot better than the stock A1.

Luke Garza April 26th, 2009 07:21 PM

Yeah i agree the kipro looks much more attractive given it also captures at 10bit instead of 8 bit and why would you go line in to the camera instead of just go direct xlr into the kipro and record that way for audio instead of coming out unbalanced on the a1. I really think the kipro will add life to all of us xh a1 owners.

Dennis Murphy April 27th, 2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoy Quan (Post 1133575)
There is a new device from AJA (Ki Pro) that should be able to take component or SDI and save and record straight to ProRes 422 HQ.

Damn, I haven't seen that little beasty. That makes day to day component capture a reality.