Problem: Capturing HDV from XH A1 with Windows 64 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 26th, 2009, 11:45 PM   #1
New Boot

Problem: Capturing HDV from XH A1 with Windows 64

Aloha Everyone... thanks for reading my post.

I tried looking high and low for an answer to this problem... and i can google with the best of them... but... i just cant seem to find where someone has successfully jumped this hurdle....

I recently upgraded my computer to a HP Pavilion dv7 (windows 64) and i am no longer able to capture.

i have used
premiere cs4
premiere cs3
HDVSPLIT (my personal fav)

but none of them seem to work. they can all fast forward and rewind the camera, but they cant acctually capture. it appears that the camera is not dishing the data fast enough as it cancels after about 3 seconds.
for fun, i of course tried this on a friends computer, and it worked fabulously. i updated every driver from HP...

--is any one else having this problem?
--is any one capturing HDV via windows 64?

Thank you VERY much... this is maddening.

::keywords for google::
dv7, capture, error, xha1, xh-a1, xh a1
Conrad Devereaux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:19 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Hi Conrad............

Will it capture using another camera?

Think we need to eliminate the camera type as part of the exercise.

Can't answer the questions about Windows 64, ain't got it.

Best of luck getting it fixed.

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2009, 01:30 AM   #3
New Boot

well...the bummer is, i tried it with an HV30.... i get the same problem.

the cameras work great...but, not with 64...

Thanks Chris,

C
Old April 27th, 2009, 10:13 AM   #4
Major Player

The problem is likely your firewire port/card. When I built my Windows XP 64bit edition video machine, I had to purchase a firewire card that specifically works with XP64.

Remember that all device drivers under XP 64 must be 64bit. If your computer previously had win XP 32bit then the firewire port/card likely will only handle 32bit drivers. If that's the case, then there's no way to get it to work without adding a 64bit compatible firewire card. Win XP 64 contains the drivers already, but the device itself (firewire port/card) must be able to use them.

It is entirely possible that 32bit drivers were installed on a 32/64bit firewire port/card as well. Whoever set up the computer could have easily installed the wrong device drivers.

If its a Firewire card as opposed to an onboard port, it could be the wrong card. Wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened even on a new PC.

Last edited by Marcel D. Van Someren; April 27th, 2009 at 04:08 PM.
Marcel D. Van Someren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 09:53 AM   #5
Regular Crew

- Vista Ultimate 64bit -

I'm using a 64bit version of Vista and I'm not having a major issue with HDV capture from my XH A1.
The only minor issue I'm having [and it may only be something I need to adjust in preferences] with my captures under Vegas Pro 8.1 [64bit] is that I don't get a preview in the Vegas interface while it's capturing. I don't have this problem when capturing under Vegas Pro 8c [32bit] - both are installed on the same machine by the way.
Laurence Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 10:15 AM   #6
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel D. Van Someren View Post
The problem is likely your firewire port/card. When I built my Windows XP 64bit edition video machine, I had to purchase a firewire card that specifically works with XP64.

Remember that all device drivers under XP 64 must be 64bit. If your computer previously had win XP 32bit then the firewire port/card likely will only handle 32bit drivers. If that's the case, then there's no way to get it to work without adding a 64bit compatible firewire card. Win XP 64 contains the drivers already, but the device itself (firewire port/card) must be able to use them.

It is entirely possible that 32bit drivers were installed on a 32/64bit firewire port/card as well. Whoever set up the computer could have easily installed the wrong device drivers.

If its a Firewire card as opposed to an onboard port, it could be the wrong card. Wouldn't be the first time something like that has happened even on a new PC.
Wow,, this is so technical.

I just updated my computer and added a firewire port. Not sure what the specs are but will have to check... and HOPE that mine captures properly. Think I will be using Vegas Pro. Lots to learn.

Brian
Brian Lakusta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2009, 04:24 PM   #7
Major Player

I use Windows Vista Ultimate 64 with no problem at all. My PC was a self build and I ensured the Intel motherboard had a Firewire port as the mobo was specifically for 64 bit processing it works fine thus I think Marcel D. van Someren is probably correct in his assertion that the Firewire port/car must be 64 bit compatible.

Just thought, could it be your NLE software? The combination of the NLE, firewire port and 64bit windows
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 11:01 AM   #8
Major Player

I work with CS4 on a (Vista) 64 bits machine just fine with the A1 and HV20. I think its the firewire that is giving the problem. Have you tried another cable or connection?
CS3 is not suited for a 64 bits machine also Vista 64 is much more stable than XP64.
HDVSplit runs on all OSs.
Ann Bens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 12:29 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann Bens View Post
...also Vista 64 is much more stable than XP64.
HDVSplit runs on all OSs.
I'd have to totally disagree with that statement. Having had the two machines side-by-side, the Vista 64 machine was much more problematic and slower as well, even though it had the same quadcore hardware.

I had to turn off over 50 services before it kept up with the XP64 machine.
Old May 2nd, 2009, 10:24 AM   #10
New Boot

Well

I use windows X64 (XP 64bit) with no problems. As well as vista 64bit. BUT there are a few things with the camera and computer that can cause this problem. I generally run into it once in awhile, and then i have to trouble shoot for awhile.

I need to get back home before i can look into it fully. don't go buy anything new yet. I know that it works with 64bit and zero problems, its just kinda weird if the settings aren't completely correct.
Michael Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:20 PM   #11
Major Player

Normaly you dont have to do anything with firewire settings, they are all in windows.
When you have a seperate card you sometimes may have to install a driver, but that come with the card on a cd.
Old May 3rd, 2009, 11:12 PM   #12
New Boot

Heres how i do it.

First Make sure that all of your settings match the image below (Hit the menu button while in playback mode, and click on the signal setup menu. Make sure all your settings match like in the image (HD Down convert MUST be off)
http://michael.cheezyfilms.com/help/xha1.jpg

Next start a new project, (this is Premiere version 3.2). The HDV preset is the easiest way, i generally do a few custom settings, but this will work perfect.
http://michael.cheezyfilms.com/help/Startproject.jpg

Finally go to your capture window, click the settings tab (top right). Then look at

Number 1. Make sure that says "HDV Capture", if it does not say that, then click Edit and change it from DV Capture to HDV Capture.
http://michael.cheezyfilms.com/help/changesettings.jpg

Number 2. make sure you have DV/HDV Device Control selected.

Number 3. Click the options button (Under the drop down menu i have showing) and make sure your settings match number 4. (Video Standard: NTSC (unless you are PAL, Device Brand: Canon, Device Type: Alternate 1, etc.)

These settings aren't a must have, I have just had a lot of trouble with Windows XP X64 and this camera. This is just my way of never having problems (works for me)
I hope this helps, let me know.
Michael Robertson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2009, 04:07 PM   #13
Major Player

Have you ever tried HDVSplit? Also has scene detection.
Old May 4th, 2009, 07:06 PM   #14
New Boot

HDV SPLIT is the best

but... i still cant get it to work....

right now im limping by with HDV split on an XP laptop.

painful stuff... i think im going to buy a $50 capture card....

the bummer is, its not the $50, it the fact i have to have a bulky expresscard in my travel gear.

thank you for the suggestion
Old May 5th, 2009, 04:05 AM   #15
New Boot

sounds like a driver issue with your 64 bit operating system and the firewire card. Get a firewire card that works under xp64 or windows x64 2003 server you'll find XP64 is based on server 2003, should be a lot more stable that vista.
Scott Millar is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders