Record from 1 Shotgun, both channels at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old April 30th, 2009, 03:13 PM   #1
New Boot

Record from 1 Shotgun, both channels

How do you set up an XH-A1 to record both channels to one shotgun mic? The monitor was showing both channels recording but playback only shows one?

Also: If I use a wireless lavalier on the groom, should I record the wireless to both channels or only one and the other to a shotgun mic?

Thanks for the help...
- Don
Don Kinsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #2
Major Player

It is designed that in your example to plug shotgun in to chan1 and and lav into chan 2 this way you record both, with the switch set to just chan 1.
If you are not using a lav and want shotgun on both you set the chan switch to both chan 1 and 2 (it seams stupid I know but it seams to work arse about face ; ))

Have I made any sense? I think I have confused myself...
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2009, 10:47 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Guys...........

If you set "XLR on" in the audio menu and have one (1) mic plugged into one of the XLR I/P's:

If the switch is set to CH1, that mic will be shown (on the LCD) only on the channel it is plugged into, 1 for 1, 2 for 2.

If the switch is set for CH1/ CH2, both channel indicators on the LCD will show that mic.

If you want to connect a second mic, by whatever means (direct cabled, wireless etc) you have a choice:

CH1 set means both mic's go only to their respective channels.

CH1/ CH2 mixes both mic's to both channels.***

***This is a bit of a punt on my part, as I can't test it a this time, but is based on the fact that a mic on CH1 gets mixed to CH1/CH2 in CH1/ CH2 mode. A mic on CH2 gets mixed to CH1/CH2 in the same mode. Ergo, both mics get mixed to both channels is my theory.

That any clearer?

CS
Chris Soucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2009, 03:13 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Mic switch

1st - be sure the XLR input is "On" in the menu.

If you have only one mic & want to record both channels with that audio - set the switch to ch 1/ch 2 AND plug the mic into channel 1. "Auto" setting on audio level will work great.

If you have two mics - set the switch to ch 1 AND you can plug one into each channel. [ A shotgun with a wireless at a distance can create an echo effect - always monitor the audio. ] Also be careful of setting the audio levels to "Auto" when using wireless and shotgun together - the camera will adjust the level to the hotter mic [ and does so with both channels at the same time]- i.e. - clothing noise on the lavaliere will in effect turn down the shotgun audio as well.. Again , always monitor the audio so you get what you need.

** When set to ch 1 / ch 2 - the camera will not mix the audio across channels . It will record only ch 1 to ch 1 and ch 2 to ch 2 . You will have to cross fade in post if you like.

Hope this helps.
Darin Clifton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2010, 11:52 AM   #5
Regular Crew

After much frustration trying to figure out how the XLR audio switches on the A1 work I decided to write it down.
Occasionally I want to use two mic’s in a shoot and to be able to switch off one or the other when recording audio. Imagine interviewing someone and not wanting the podium mic audio to interfere with the recorded sound from a shotgun mic.

Here is the example; I plugged in a shotgun mic into XLR channel 1 and a wireless mic into XLR channel 2. Certain situations required sound from just the shotgun mic and other situations required just the wireless mic.

If you have two mic’s plugged in (and that is important, that they are both PLUGGED in), simply turning off one or the other does not work. If they are both plugged in the only way to isolate the unwanted mic is to turns it's volume down....even then that CH1/CH2 switch must be in the right position. The switch that controls all of this is the switch on the lower right hand corner just above the XLR inputs, the one labeled CH1 and CH1/CH2. The first two sentences below deal with a two mic input scenario and the following sentences deal with a one mic scenario.

TWO MIC INPUT SCENARIO
In CH1/CH2 position (2) mic’s plugged in, records to both channels, changes to volume 1 input changes the recorded volume to both channels at the same time, changes in input volume 2 has no effect

In CH1 position (2) mic’s plugged in, records to both channels, changes in input volume 1 effects channel 1 recorded volume and input volume 2 changes the recorded volume to channel 2

ONE MIC INPUT SCENARIO
In CH1/CH2 position (1) mic plugged in to CH1 XLR, records to both channels, input volume 1 changes the recorded volume on both channels. Input volume 2 has no effect

In CH1 position (1) mic plugged in to CH1 XLR, records to channel 1 only, input volume 1 changes the recorded volume on channel 1. Input volume 2 has an effect on the recorded volume

In CH1/CH2 position (1) mic plugged in to CH1 XLR, records to channel 1 and to channel 2, input volume 1 changes the recorded volume on channel 1 and channel 2. Input volume 2 has no effect on the recorded volume

In CH1 position (1) mic plugged in to CH2 XLR, records to channel 2 only, input volume 2 changes the recorded volume on channel 2. Input volume 1 has no effect on the recorded volume

In CH1/CH2 position (1) mic plugged in to CH2 XLR, has no effect on the recorded volume, in essence no mic input

I hope this helps others who may have been as confused as I!

Last edited by Guy Shaddock; March 19th, 2010 at 11:58 AM. Reason: Clarity
Guy Shaddock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 22nd, 2010, 10:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

You might want to consider why you need to record the shotgun (or any other mic) on both audio channels. All the audio is digitally recorded in the same datastream as the video so a dropout or head clog will affect both channels. In the old days of analog using both channels for a mono signal might have been a benefit if one of the linear audio channel heads suffered a problem.

The setup for the XHA1 audio is confusing as this thread demonstrates so making changes in the field while recording a live event increases the chance of an operator error. For simplicity, you might want to plug your shotgun in one channel and the wireless mic in the other. Both microphones should capture the audio and give you a choice to use one or the other, or a combination of both, to get the sound mix you want. If one of the microphones fails you will have a backup from the other. Poor sound is better than none at all for live events like weddings.

Your editing program will see the two channels from the camera as a left and right stereo pair so you will have to convert the stereo pair into separate monaural channels. You should have this function in the video editing program you use. The editing program will allow you to position your monaural microphone audio anywhere from left to right across the stereo sound field (assuming you are doing stereo).

Just my two cents.
Roger Keay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 23rd, 2010, 03:53 PM   #7
New Boot

not THAT complicated...

I've never really found audio on the XH-A1 that rough. The only real limitation (on the XH-A1, not A1s) is the inability to record XLR to one channel, and reference audio from the camera mic to the other.

- With one external mic, plug it into XLR 1. Flip the switch to "CH1".
- With two external mics, plug them in and put the switch on "CH1/CH2".
- Keep attenuation off unless the mic seems really, really loud.
- With two external mics you really don't need to disable one or the other -- they record on separate tracks, so you can pick which one you want to use while editing without the two tracks messing with each other.
- Protip: if you have one mic, buy a XLR splitter. Put the switch on "CH1" and run the same mic signal into both channels. Turn the gain up a little on one channel, and down a little on the other. If the room is quiet, use the loud channel while editing. If something loud happens cut over to the softer channel while you're editing.
- Keep the audio gain as close to the 50% setting as possible. Too quiet? Get the mic closer!
David Quakenbush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 24th, 2010, 04:53 PM   #8
Regular Crew

"Not that complicated"

Well, it shouldn't be and I might just be a bit dense, but I'm totally lost here.

Does anybody here have an A1s, not the A1, but the latest "S" version? As noted, the "S" allows you to have one mike and the ability to record to both channels and control the volume of these levels independently, which as pointed out above is a good thing to be able to do in case their is an unexpected spike from your subject.

I had this working on my brand new A1s, but after only 2 hours of use I discovered 3 bad pixels and had to take it into Canon for repair. When I got the camera back (yes, the same camera) all my settings were changed to factory default and both channels are recording at the same level without the ability to independently control them. I had it working once, I have read the manual for the past three days, and it does not allow me to now do this.

In the menu, under the audio section, there is a "Link both Channels" is this in NOT active, but both my channels are still linked. I'm in full manual mode, ATT off.

My menu setting under Audio Setup are:

Output CH......CH1/CH2
CH1 Input......XLR Mic
CH2 Input......XLR Mic
XLR REC CH...CH1/CH2

No matter what combination of these settings I change, the audio on BOTH channels are controlled by the Channel One volume control. I cannot set the two channels independently.

I'm plugged into XLR Ch 1 on the side of the camera with an NTG -1 using 48 volt phantom power.

Above the XLR receptor there are four switches on a slanted panel facing up.

XLR MIC ATT.

CH 1 ATT set to OFF
CH 2 ATT set to OFF

Next to that on the same panel above the XLR is:

Audio Level

CH 1 set to M
CH 2 set to M

I know that they couldn't have disabled this feature when it was in for service and I must just be brain dead. Can somebody with an A1s please walk me through this? I'm going nuts because I know that there is a way to do this because I had it working once!

Thanks.
Kelly Olsen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders