DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Capture Cable? (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/234824-capture-cable.html)

Danny Winn May 6th, 2009 06:46 PM

Capture Cable?

Just got my A1s today and I'm a little confused about something. The camera obviously has a 6 pin IEEE1394 (firewire) output slot on the camera but in the manual it says you can use the 4pin to 6pin CV-250 dv cable which is what my XL2 uses. I see nowhere on the camera where there is a 4pin option like the xl2. Do I need to just go get a 6pin to 6pin cable? IS that the way most of you all capture.

I just installed my IEEE 1394 into my suped up new PC computer, it of course has 6pin input. I've never seen a IEEE card with the 4pin input.

Please straighten me out to why the manual would say either before I go get a 6to6 pin cable. Thanks Much!!!

Bill Pryor May 6th, 2009 07:32 PM

I doubt that it would have both a 4-pin and a 6-pin port. You may have found the first misprint in the manual.

Nate Haustein May 6th, 2009 08:48 PM

Perhaps they mean 6 pin out of the camera and 4 pin into a laptop?

Danny Winn May 6th, 2009 09:03 PM

Yeah, looks like I'll have to wait till tomorrow to drop my test footage to the comp as I only have a 4 to 6 pin cable. Doh, best buy here I come.

Alan R. Moore May 7th, 2009 02:59 AM

Just looked at my camera and there is large component out at the bottom and the 4pin firewire is at the top. Are you mistaking the component socket for a 6pin firewire?

Cheers Alan

Danny Winn May 7th, 2009 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alan R. Moore (Post 1139087)
Just looked at my camera and there is large component out at the bottom and the 4pin firewire is at the top. Are you mistaking the component socket for a 6pin firewire?

Cheers Alan

Well, both the "viewfinder componant out" and the "HD/SD componanet out" are NOT 4 pin firewire outputs, they appear to be for use with the provided cord for an HD monitor, not capture.

The HDV/DV Output above the headphone jack IS clearly 6 pin firewire.

I have the XH A1(s), is yours the updated "S" version as well?

Bill Pryor May 7th, 2009 04:08 PM

The S update is the only one with 6-pin.

Alan R. Moore May 8th, 2009 02:36 AM

Ahh. Mines the A1 not the new S version. Enjoy your camera, I'm really pleased with mine. As we say here 'its the best thing since sliced bread'.

Cheers Alan

Allan Black May 11th, 2009 04:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nate Haustein (Post 1138973)
Perhaps they mean 6 pin out of the camera and 4 pin into a laptop?

I read somewhere that's the case, Canon responding to complaints from A1 folk who mucked up their cams frail 4 pin socket. Easy to do if you're not careful.

The 6 pin normally carries power on the 2 additional pins.

Cheers.

Howard Churgin May 11th, 2009 04:41 AM

Its probably just an uncorrected copy from the A1 manual. The A1 has 4 pin out from camera, thus you need a 4 pin to 6 pin.