DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Settings (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/235343-settings.html)

Eric Felker May 14th, 2009 08:52 AM

Settings

I use my XH-A1 to film hunts. I have been playing with the XL presets and several other settings. What would you all recommend to use for this type of filming. Obviously its outdoors filming people and animals. Landscape shots, Rolling clouds, beauty shots of leaves blowing, etc... Just trying to get the most out of this camera. Thanks for the help in advance.

Richard Gooderick May 14th, 2009 09:00 AM

Vividrgb accentuates the reds so you probably don't want to use that.
How about Panalook2.

Eric Felker May 14th, 2009 09:09 AM

Haven't tried that one I tried the original PANALOOK. Also preset 10 or DISJECTA.

Phil Taylor May 14th, 2009 01:56 PM

Presets

I would not use any presets. Just shoot with the camera default settings. I shoot practically all of my video in outdoor settings. My own preference is to do any adjustments (if needed) in the editing software. Pay attention to the light, white balance often, try not to shoot between 10:00am and 5:00pm and you will do well! I also personally believe presets are a sort of gimmick, to give leading edge advocates a new experience to play with. Perhaps not, but I have tried a number of presets and simply get better end results with the standard Canon settings.

Pavel Sedlak May 14th, 2009 06:45 PM

re

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phil Taylor (Post 1143115)
I would not use any presets. Just shoot with the camera default settings. I shoot practically all of my video in outdoor settings. My own preference is to do any adjustments (if needed) in the editing software.

It is not good idea, because custom preset can adjust signal in better quality (1920x1080, 422 in DSP). If you make adjustmen in post, you are in 1440x1080 420. Correction colors maybe difficult in post, if there is poor quality color levels in signal.

Eric Felker May 15th, 2009 02:24 PM

I film from sunrise to sunset unfortunately. In the outdoor t.v. industry you film a lot of low light shots as well. Unfortunately that's when you have the most action. What I have noticed with several of the presets is the colors look more vibrant but the footage is much darker.

Patrick Myers May 15th, 2009 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pavel Sedlak (Post 1143212)
It is not good idea, because custom preset can adjust signal in better quality (1920x1080, 422 in DSP). If you make adjustmen in post, you are in 1440x1080 420. Correction colors maybe difficult in post, if there is poor quality color levels in signal.

I think it is important to add that you should shoot as flat as possible and get good clean colors, if you want a certain look, if you want it warmer or cooler, I would suggest doing that in post.

Once you shoot your footage you are stuck with what you have. I always shoot so that it will be easy tweak it one way or another. I would suggest the outside setting. It has worked well for me in varying light situations outdoors.

Stuart Graham May 16th, 2009 05:30 AM

To use neutral or non-neutral in-camera presets?

I've heard that you should get the right settings for the look you want in-camera because a lot of information is lost after the video signal is compressed to DV or HDV. A bit like when a RAW photograph is compressed to a jpeg I suppose.

This is an important issue. Anyone have an opinion on it?

Artur Smiech May 18th, 2009 12:17 PM

I think there's a need to create some presets for indoors with low light settings and others for outdoors with much more light.

Pavel Sedlak May 18th, 2009 01:27 PM

re

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artur Smiech (Post 1144844)
I think there's a reason to create some presets for indoors with low light settings and others for outdoors with much more light.

Yes, using a right custom preset is radical change in lowlight conditions (level of noise), with high contrast scenes (level of black for example), or for right levels of colors (faces ...). The corrections in post are much more limited.