Capture Problems cs4 (all the sudden) at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 24th, 2009, 07:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Capture Problems cs4 (all the sudden)

Well I don't know what's going on here but all the sudden when I try capturing with my PPro CS4 I get this error message "Can't activate recorder, try resetting Camera".

It wasn't doing this last week and i haven't changed any settings.

So I tried turning the cam off, restarting the computer, checked all my internal cam settings, unplugged the firewire cable. I tried all this in different sequences so that I wouldn't have to look like a dope and write all this here. haha

And yes, I read all of the suggestions on the Adobe site, which were all things I had already done mind you.

So If any of you know or have a guess on whats going on here I'd appreciate any input.

Oh, I did notice that when I turn the camera on it doesn't always get detected by windows after the first time, should it?
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 12:36 AM   #2
Regular Crew

you didn't say whether you tried resetting the camera, as per the error message suggestion. Switching it off and on may not reset it.

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd

Last edited by Ian Wright; May 25th, 2009 at 12:37 AM. Reason: correction
Ian Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 09:14 AM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Wright View Post
you didn't say whether you tried resetting the camera, as per the error message suggestion. Switching it off and on may not reset it.

Ian
Festival Video and Audio Previews - Festival Previews Ltd
Thanks Ian, yeah I forgot to mention that I had also reset set the camera to default settings which hadn't been changed anyway, haha, but I did try that already.

Thanks
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2009, 02:21 PM   #4
Major Player

Ok figured it out, and it's really stupid.

When you set up a new project in Premire Pro CS4 it asks you to pick the capture settings after you name the project, I of course clicked on the "HDV 1080-24P" option.

Then when I went to capture it kept saying "Can't activate recorder"

After many hours of online confusion it was simply a matter of going to the "Settings" tab in the capture window and selecting "HDV" instead of "SD". Now I thought by selecting "HDV 1080-24P" when setting up the new project that it should do this automatically but it sure didn't for me.

What's the point of selecting HDV at the beginning if you just have to do it again in the capture settings? I dunno....
Danny Winn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders