Wedding Highlight/ preview video at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 25th, 2009, 10:20 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Wedding Highlight/ preview video

This was my first wedding job. I got plenty of shots, but I am not sure about my editing of them. Editing is my least favorite to do...

Please let me know what you think of it, and what I should change.

Music was the couple's first dance song, I figured it would be appropriate.

Sheila and Daniel Evans on Vimeo
Old June 3rd, 2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Anyone have any feedback? I would like to get this to the couple soon, I am looking to get it all to them by the weekend.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

while I don't normally critique too many pieces, since no one else has I'll jump in.
The ideo was good but 1st, you need to either use some sort of stabilization (tripod or monopod) as a lot of the shots you used had a lot of movement or rather camera shake. At the same time, some of the shots ran a bit too long, I think you would have been better off shortening them and using more shots instead. Be careful when trying to cut to the beat, you have to be right on everytime or it becomes noticable. Also watch your framing. 2 things come to mind. When the B&G are on the altar you were cutting off their heads just enough to make it look like you were cutting off their heads and when you tilted up you went a bit high and left a bit too much headroom. Last thing I saw was the walkin at the reception. You were way way too far away. Get out there on the dance floor or closer if need be. Where you were at, I had a hard time seeing them enter. That is a money shot.
Anyway remember, these comments are only my thoughts and opinion.
Perhaps you can tighten it up a bit.
Color and exposure looked good on my computer but maybe have someone else (wife, girlfriend look at it and get a completely objective view and critique-even after 26 years and 1700 weddings, I still have my wife look at a lot of my work-shes more objective)
Old June 3rd, 2009, 04:37 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks! I knew that I was cutting off their heads, I already got that fixed... I am just looking for the other stuff...

Do you think there were too many cut-away shots or was that a good amount?

I know I missed that great money shot. I was on the other end of the room taping a nice elderly couple dancing when they announced it... So, I did have a chance to get closer, The photographer was also alittle thrown off, but got there quick.

Thanks! Keep it coming people!
Old June 3rd, 2009, 06:12 PM   #5
Inner Circle

yeah I know the feeling-sometimes you don't get a heads up on things that are happening. :-(

When you say "cut aways" I'm not sure which shots you're referring too. Perhaps you could mention a couple specifically.

Again, I want mention the unstable shots. We all get them but the ones I saw were too many and unfortunately the movement seemed to happen at a critical time.
Old June 3rd, 2009, 07:23 PM   #6
Trustee

Hi Scott,

I have to agree with Don, there's lots of movement you need to try and minimise.

At 0:19 there's a definite shake (are you using a fluid head tripod?) if you cut that shot shorter it might look better or find the best part and do a slomo so the movement isn't so noticeable - same with the trio of musicians.

the rack focus on the prayer books was nice but might have been more effective if it was shortened (just grab the best bit)

with the bride and bridesmaids you're moving constantly, like your trying to get the composition right, even if you pick something and hold it for a couple of seconds and then adjust - at least you'll have a couple of shots you can use without movement. If the move was intentional you need to run it a couple of times to get something usable.

at 1:05 with the heads cut off, maybe you could crop the frame to focus on the rings more, if you cut that shorter it might move into the next shot better

1:11 the transition seems to stand out a bit, maybe you can put in a quickcut away of one of the bridesmaids or the priest?

1:18-1:30 is nice, it looks smooth

you have a shake at 1:49, could you cover that with another cut away?

at 2:06 the candle in the fish bowl might be slowed down to minimise the shake

Just my opinion and I'm no expert.
Old June 4th, 2009, 10:09 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks!

I did use a tripod for most of it, But my fluid head seems to jump alittle when I start any movement.

I fixed that shot with the rings when the heads were cut off, I had used adobe to digitally zoom on it and just did all the panning in post. So it was a wider shot, but I just cropped in on it. So thats fixed.

I didn't have much of the groomsmen with a tripod, In fact, I don't think I have them at all on a tripod. So... I am working with the best I have, I can try stabilizing it in After effects, But that would take some time...

1:11 Transition, I wanted it to show that it moved in time, but I will try doing a short digital pan in Premiere of the maids of honor for a transition...

And that candle is now slowed down in the timeline.

Thank you so much!
Old June 4th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #8
Major Player

Scott,
First of all it takes GUTS to post something to a forum, especially when you're new at it. So good for you man. Let me just give you some general things that would instantly improve your piece. First of all, don't ever show a zoom in the edit. Don't push in, don't pull out. If you're on a good tripod, it's ok to zoom, reframe, and shoot. But don't show the zoom. Especially in the beginning. A very common newbie thing is to stay far away from the action to remain "unobtrusive" the key is to get the camera closer to the action. Be curteous of the photog in what they are doing, but don't be afraid of the people. Shortening the shots will help alot. Use only what works and throw away the rest. Learn the manual functions of the camera. It seemed that the establishing shot of the church was auto adjusting the exposure. Lastly find a way of comfortably stabilizing. Learn some good handheld techniques and until then just drag your tripod everywhere. Mom's and uncles don't understand movement, so a solid shot will make you stand out. You have no competitors in the video field, your competitors are no video and uncles. Good luck. Oh also, try not to use the first dance song as the highlight song. Just redundant that's all. Not a rule, just a suggestion.
Recommended viewing...
Advanced Broadcast Camera Techniques -Elite Video
Moving Camera Techniques - Von Lankens
Supercharge your Raw Footage - Chris Watson
The Art of the Edit - Von Lankens
Bill
Old June 10th, 2009, 02:36 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Ok, here is the re-do... I am waiting on a photo from the photographer (Who is taking forever!!) but this is what I got for them. I plan to deliver with or with out that photo by next Tuesday. That will be one week over my estimate :( But I think they will be fine, I did the wedding for free to build a demo reel.

Daniel and Sheila Evans on Vimeo

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders