Problems with EXP LOCK in CANON XHA1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old May 27th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Problems with EXP LOCK in CANON XHA1

Hi I'v got recently the Canon XHA1 and I have a little problem with the exp lock, for my lack of knowledge I supposed.

I had to record an interview with two diferent light condition faces in A -automatic-. That's why I didn't use exp lock button as it only could measure one of them.
Without exp lock the camera did some light jumps in the displacements as adjusted itself in every move.

My question is in situations like that what do you do? And the desp. AE what is for?

alioshka
Alioshka Pakareva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Shooting in Manual mode may be your solution. Exposure lock will be accomplished by not touching the iris wheel. Make sure auto gain is off.
Don Xaliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 27th, 2009, 01:08 PM   #3
Major Player

I always lock my exposure once I am happy with the lighting on my subject especially in an interview situation. Mainly because if the subject brings their hands up into frame or holds up a piece of paper or something like that, the exposure lock will prevent the background appearing to go darker while trying to adjust to the hands or paper or whatever may come up.

Hope that helps in someway.

Oh, and I'm not sure what you mean by "desp"
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2009, 07:37 PM   #4
Contributor

You're better off to turn all the auto things off except under rare circumstances. When you get the camera all the auto functions are probably on, inlcuding auto shutter, auto iris, auto gain and auto white balance. Put everything to manual. Set your exposure manually using the zebras. I believe if you want to use auto exposure, you can go to TV mode and that only affects auto iris, and you can let it set itself, then do the exposure lock to prevent it from changing during a shot, as the above post correctly said.

Basically the exposure lock works similar to the auto iris button on a professional lens, only backwards. On a professional lens, you can press the button and as long as you hold it down, the auto iris is on. Release the button after exposure is set by the camera and auto iris goes off and the exposure won't change. It's a fast way to get a good approximate exposure--let the camera set it the way it wants, and then you adjust up or down as needed by the actual shot. You can do the same thing with the TV mode and the exposure lock switch, but it is more awkward because it's backwards from the normal way. For me it's not faster than staying fully manual.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders