DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Question about resale value (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/236219-question-about-resale-value.html)

Steve Lewis May 27th, 2009 07:25 PM

Question about resale value

I have an XHA1 that is one year old. I will have it "checked-out" by canon repairs and then put it up for sale. How much should I ask for it? More or less than $2,000?

Thanks,
-Steve

Battle Vaughan May 27th, 2009 08:03 PM

It's just my rule of thumb, but I always figure equipment in "like new with some use" is max 50% of it's new street value....or that's my EBay rule, fwiw! /Battle Vaughan / miamiherald.com video team

Galen Rath May 27th, 2009 08:37 PM

It's worth more than 50%. Look what GL1's and GL2's are selling for, its amazing.

Philip Williams May 28th, 2009 09:03 AM

A great way to research resale values is to use eBay's "Advanced Search" and use the "Completed Items Only" checkbox. That lets you see closed auctions and actual dollar amounts paid.

Looking at the XH-A1, it seems to move easily in the lower/mid $2000 range with stock gear (charger, battery). Throw in a nice Pelican case or some sort of cookies and you're probably looking at the high $2000 range.

John Stakes May 28th, 2009 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Battle Vaughan (Post 1149416)
It's just my rule of thumb, but I always figure equipment in "like new with some use" is max 50% of it's new street value....

PLEASE let me know next time you're selling used equipment!!!

JS

Jack Walker May 28th, 2009 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Stakes (Post 1149684)
PLEASE let me know next time you're selling used equipment!!!

JS

Me, too...

Philip Williams May 28th, 2009 10:50 AM

Hehe I'm sure he uses revised percentages when *selling* gear ;)

Sean Finnegan May 30th, 2009 04:19 AM

Contrary to popular belief, cams generally have a relatively good resale value in comparison with other electronics. However, the Canon XH-A1 is a unique case because its now outdated by the XH-A1s which improves on a lot of the weaknesses of its predecessor, making it in reality a much stronger cam even though there aren't that many extremely significant changes. I found a few people willing to buy my XH-A1 (I'm upgrading to a Panasonic HPX170) for around $2300 specifically because I've taken such good care of it, and there's less than 100 hours total usage on it. I don't know if that should be your guiding star, but it's just what I've seen offered in the past.

Blake Hamilton June 7th, 2009 11:14 AM

Hi guys and gals, I feel terrible that my first post on this forum is written with the intent to sell my camera considering how much great info I've pulled from here, but alas...

I am about to sell my XH A1 in mint condition, with a sony eyecup, UV filter, and Portabrace bag. Let me know if any of you are still interested.

Pete Bauer June 7th, 2009 12:29 PM

For actual "For Sale" or "Wanted" posts, please use the Private Classifieds forum
It is only for established members of DVinfo so brand new members (I think less than a month of membership) won't be able to access it.

Blake Hamilton June 7th, 2009 01:57 PM

Thank you Pete. Apologies.