Matte box type thingy for XH A1s at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 4th, 2009, 01:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Matte box type thingy for XH A1s

Ok,

I'm not exactly looking for a matte box for my A1s, I'm looking for what would basically be the top of one to sheild out backlights or any light above that gets into your lens. It's like a barndoor on a spot light but only the top part that mounts around the lens hood, you see these a lot on outdoor animal show like on Animal Planet.

I don't know what they call them for a google search but I know they exist (don't know about for XH A1s though).

If I have to use a full Mattebox I will do so but it would sure be nice to have one of those simple lightweight deals if I could find one. Anybody know if they have a specific name???

I do use 3x5 cards at times but they can be a pain even though they can be effective.

Thanks.
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 02:59 PM   #2
Major Player

A Company called Formatt make exactly what you want:Matte Boxes to buy online : FM600 Matte Box from Formatt Filters

however, you won't be able to use auto focus with one of these fitted as it covers the auto focus sensor with no realistic means of working around it
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Major Player

Not quite it Philip but I really really appreciate the link, What I'm looking for is just the top part of the one you linked to. It doesn't hold filters or anything it's just a shield on a hinge that mounts on top.

I will try and find a pic of it but it's hard cause I don't know what they call it. I just saw it on "Big cat diaries" today on the Animal Planet.

Thanks so much though Philip!
Old June 4th, 2009, 06:57 PM   #4
Contributor

Sounds like you're talking about a French flag. Filmtools has them, as well as many other places.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 4th, 2009, 07:39 PM   #5
Major Player

Yes Bill!

Thats it! I found some pics immediatly after you said what they were (Below).

See i need something that doesnt cover the auto focus because I film a lot of Mixed Martial Arts and Trying to manually focus can be tricky with all the action.

Thanks So Much Bill!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Matte box type thingy for XH A1s-frenchflag1.jpg   Matte box type thingy for XH A1s-frenchflag2.jpg  

Old June 7th, 2009, 02:57 PM   #6
Trustee

Go down this page. There are some flags that are very lightweight and work well from Barber Tech (EZ Flag). They have fitting for shoe mount, screw mount, or clamp mount:
Barbertech Video Products

These can be attached in different ways and won't block the autofocus on the XH-A1.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 06:21 PM   #7
Contributor

Which reminds me...the XH A1 is the first pro camera I've ever used that does not have the 1/4" threaded socket on top of the handle.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 07:44 PM   #8
Trustee

This little Manfrotto nano clamp ($29.95) can go on tubing (e.g. tripod arm):
manfrotto nano clamp | B&H Photo Video

This little "J" clamp from 16x9 is made to go on a camcorder handle (but it's expensive at $114.95):
16x9 Inc. | 169-J-BRKT J-Clamp Mounting Bracket | 169-J-BRKT
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 09:27 PM   #9
Major Player

Very cool! Thanks so much for the links Jack!
Old June 9th, 2009, 06:22 PM   #10
Contributor

I have one of these, http://www.filmtools.com/clamfrenflag.html , but I like that Manfroto clamp idea.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders