Azden WMS-Pro and XH-A1 compatibility at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 8th, 2009, 02:05 PM   #1
Major Player

Azden WMS-Pro and XH-A1 compatibility

I just bought an Azden lavalier mic to use on my A1. I thought I would just get an adapter to use to plug into the XLR imputes. I saw what I thought would work on the B&H website (a stereo to XLR cable). However the salesman I spoke to said it wouldn't work on the XH-A1. I asked why, and he said it just won't work.

Is this true?

If it's true, it's not a total loss as I can use it on my HD30.

Michael
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2009, 02:40 PM   #2
Major Player

If wired correctly, there's no reason that it shouldn't work. It would be a "Y" cable that has a female stereo connector on one end where you plug your lav into two XLR connectors that would plug into the Left and Right channels of the A1.
Old June 8th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #3
Major Player

You have a 8mm mic recepticle on the xha1.
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 09:13 AM   #4
Major Player

The 8mm jack may or may not work well depending upon the output level from the wireless receiver. If it's line-level, it would likely be to "hot" for the 8mm jack which is intended for microphone level input. Perhaps the output from the reciever can be adjusted to mic level?

I know there's a line/mic switch for the XLR's on the A1 but I don't think there is one for the 8mm jack. I could be wrong, though...I never use the 8mm jack.
Old June 9th, 2009, 02:34 PM   #5
Major Player

Thanks guys! I called B&H back today to get more specifics. He said I'd have to spend about $40.00 on adopters, and would end up getting a very low quality audio because of the impedance matching on all the different cables and adopters.

BTW, what would be a good all around mic to replace the job of the onboard mic for the A1..... the Rodes? My onboard mic has all kinds of static in the background.
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:31 PM   #6
Major Player

Most quality XLR adapters have impedance matching transformers inside them so that isn't a factor. It is a problem with cheap, poorly made adapters.

I use a Audio Technica 15" condenser shotgun mic for just about everything.
Old June 11th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
BTW, what would be a good all around mic to replace the job of the onboard mic for the A1..... the Rodes? My onboard mic has all kinds of static in the background.
The AudioTechnica AT875R is a very good mic at a reasonable price. It is well reviewed, and it is short. It will work on camera of on a boom:
Audio-Technica | AT875 Short Condenser Shotgun | AT875R | B&H

It is necessary to wrap sometning around the mic to make the diameter larger to fit the XH-A1 mic holder. The small Sony rubber adapter works for this also, if you happen to have one from an old PD150.
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 12:44 PM   #8
Major Player

Thanks for the tips guys.

I record mainly guitar videos along with some instructional " how to make a classical guitar" video I'm in the process of making. A friend lent me his Schoeps last week to use for a night, and I can't go back to bad microphones after that.

At the same time I can't afford to spend $4000.00 on a par of Schoeps. I have narrowed down my search to a Rodes NTG 3. What do you guys think about the Rodes?
Old June 17th, 2009, 05:10 PM   #9
Major Player

Michael,

I don't have one but it is safe to say, from the posts I have read, everyone who has one, loves it especially for it's price.

Do a search in the forums and take a read for yourself.....You may want to check out the "All things audio" thread. Good luck in your purchase.
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders