Redrock Micro microFilters bundle glass sizes for mattebox? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 8th, 2009, 03:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Redrock Micro microFilters bundle glass sizes for mattebox?

Hi folks,

I purchased the Redrock Micro micromattebox a couple of months ago. I stopped short of purchasing the microfilters seen here: Redrock microFilters as I found them a bit out of my price range. Especially after buying a lot of equipment already.

I'm now on the look out for some drop in glass filters that will fit the mattebox. Has anyone else found any glass filters that slot into this mattebox? I was looking on eBay and there are a lot of the Cokin P series glass filters, but have no specs so I don't know if these will fit.

How universal are the sizes 4 X 4" and 4 X 5.65" ?
I'm interested in the neutral density and the polarizing filter glass but would never use the graduating filter.

Any guidance would be much appreciated!
Christopher Warwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #2
Major Player

Hi Christopher

4x4" and 4x5.65" are industry standard sizes. if you are shooting HD you'll probably want to stick with 4x5.65" as it is a wider format. It also allows you the use of wider angle lenses. As you make an investment in filters, you don't really want to start over.

the grad filter is surprisingly helpful, especially outdoors as you balance sky and ground exposures. For what you get, I think you'll find our filters surprisingly affordable, but I do encourage you to shop around for comparable solutions.

Cheers

Brian
Brian Valente is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:05 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Red Rock Micro filters

$495.00 for three glass filters!!! I don't think that is even close to reasonable!
Phil Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 10:10 AM   #4
Major Player

Phil

Have you shopped around for comparable filters? 4x5.65" glass filters are typically $200-300 each, or roughly $600-900 for the same set we offer at $495.

Cheers

Brian
Old June 9th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Brian,

Yes, it's true - I realise they are comparable by industry standards. I was simply looking for a cheaper alternative, be it that the quality will not be the same. I did strongly consider buying the Redrock glass, but they sell them as a set and the graduating filter would be a total waste buy for me - I'd never use it.

I would like the option of using filters, especially the polarizing one, but would like alternatives in a lower price bracket. They simply aren't important enough for me to justify that level of budget.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Valente View Post
Phil

Have you shopped around for comparable filters? 4x5.65" glass filters are typically $200-300 each, or roughly $600-900 for the same set we offer at $495.

Cheers

Brian
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:12 PM   #6
Major Player

Hi Christopher

I completely understand - my original post was letting you know those sizes are industry standards and you'll be able to shop around for these sizes from various manufacturers - we use industry standards in all our gear wherever possible.

Cheers

Brian
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:50 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Brian,

Appreciate the tech help. I don't suppose you would recommend a couple of other manufacturers I could have a look at to compare... A bit cheeky me asking that I'm sure!

Can't fault the mattebox itself, it's an incredible piece of kit for the price. After extensive use already, the only niggle I have with it are the two thumb screws that attach the hinge to the mattebox. I lost a sunset the other night spending nearly 20 minutes trying to screw them in properly. Very fiddly making it connect right. Considering leaving it attached in future and finding an appropriate hard box to store it.

All the best,

Chris

Last edited by Christopher Warwick; June 9th, 2009 at 03:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old June 9th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #8
Major Player

haha - the IS a bit cheeky!

the obvious suspects are tiffen, schneider, formatt... those are the big ones.

Cheers

Brian
Old June 9th, 2009, 04:44 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christopher Warwick View Post
Brian,

Yes, it's true - I realise they are comparable by industry standards. I was simply looking for a cheaper alternative, be it that the quality will not be the same. I did strongly consider buying the Redrock glass, but they sell them as a set and the graduating filter would be a total waste buy for me - I'd never use it.

I would like the option of using filters, especially the polarizing one, but would like alternatives in a lower price bracket. They simply aren't important enough for me to justify that level of budget.

Chris
Want cheap? Go get yourself a cheap 72mm screw-on polarizer for $50.

By the way, IMHO a good set of ND grads are invaluable on outdoor shoots.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2009, 05:03 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi David,

Thanks for the advice. Wish I could do it that way, but not for my set up I'm afraid. The Letus Elite DoF adapter screws into that 72mm slot!

I suppose I could use circular filters on the end of the Nikon lenses, but I'd need to buy a few to accommodate the various thread sizes... But no, the drop in filters are the best way to do this.

I see your point about the grad filters, but for my work I don't use them.

Chris

Quote:
Originally Posted by David W. Jones View Post
Want cheap? Go get yourself a cheap 72mm screw-on polarizer for $50.

By the way, IMHO a good set of ND grads are invaluable on outdoor shoots.
Old June 10th, 2009, 06:57 AM   #11
Trustee

Either pony up and get one for your matte box or....
put matching hard fronts on your Nikon lenses that will let you use the same size screw-on filter.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 09:23 AM   #12
Regular Crew

"Have you shopped around for comparable filters? 4x5.65" glass filters are typically $200-300 each, or roughly $600-900 for the same set we offer at $495."

These in my opinion are way over priced as are those from other suppliers\manufacturers. Think about it, for your kit $495.00 the videographer will have to sell almost 25 DVD's or video's just to pay for them. (@ $20.00 per DVD). My suggestion is to shoot without them, meter properly, white balance meticulously and pay attention to changing conditions. Then do what limited correction you may need in Post.

"the grad filter is surprisingly helpful, especially outdoors as you balance sky and ground exposures. For what you get, I think you'll find our filters surprisingly affordable, but I do encourage you to shop around for comparable solutions."
Balance ground and sky exposures??? I shoot practically everything outdoors.....no weddings, just documentaries of outdoor activities. Rarely do I ever experience a need to use a graduating filter......rarely if ever. These "wants" at times, seem to take priority over the "needs" of the business. And the world of "wants" is a huge obstacle to profitable videography.
Phil Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2009, 03:28 PM   #13
Trustee

The Cavision filters are cheaper:
Cavision Filters

Here is a dvinfo thread about them:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/jvc-gy-hd...-any-good.html

Here are some Cavision 4x4 filters at B&H:
cavision 4x4 | B&H Photo Video
Jack Walker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2009, 11:58 AM   #14
Regular Crew

I've done a lot of researching around about filters. I do want to make an investment into them, so it's worth getting it right first time and not starting over. A lot of what the Redrock rep (Brian) is saying is true... Although I would like some clarification on the 4 X 4 vs 4 X 5.65" size filters. I am working in HD a lot more now, plus I like to go wide... How does the 4:5.65 differ? I'm using a Letus adaptor, so am I really going to hit outside the 4" wide mark?

The reason I ask is that I quite fancy the Schneider Optics DV/HDV kit for $500 where you get 5 Century filters in the pack. Century DV/HDV Filters - Schneider Optics - I think that's excellent value for money... Although I'm put off by the 4 X 4 or I'd buy... That's why I need to know, will I really use the extra 1.65" ?

Also, I was rummaging around Ken Rockwell's website and found this page to be quite useful: How to Use Filters and especially the part about Blue-Yellow Polarizers. I'd really like one of those... Anyone used them or know how to get one?
Old June 18th, 2009, 12:52 PM   #15
Major Player

Hi everyone

This is all great discussion - there are of course many options out there at different price points, It's just a question of what are the tradeoffs. the thread you pointed out clearly shows one of the more obvious issues: cheap filters can be hit and miss. Often they use substandard glass (vs. Redrock's schott glass) and have the coatings on the outside, which can scratch off over time (vs. ours which have the filter sandwiched inside the glass). If you are willing to make those tradeoffs then those may be right for you.

Redrock's goal in providing a filter set was not the least expensive filters possible: Our goal is a great set of quality wide format filters at a good price. The tradeoff with Redrock is not quality: we stock a specific set of filters (not all filters) that we believe are a solid starter set, and we offer these at a great price. If you compare directly to similarly spec'd filters, you will see it's substantially less expensive. If you want to use cheaper quality products, then yes you can get it for less.

Christopher regarding filter size, the extra width matches to the extra width of HD (16:9, vs 4:3 for standard def) so it allows you to use wider angle lenses without seeing the edges of a 4x4" filter.

I hope that helps

Cheers

Brian
Brian Valente is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders