built-in mic and xlr record in same time at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 11th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #1
New Boot

built-in mic and xlr record in same time

Hi! I am Brazilian and i have a XH-A1.
I'd like to know if is possible to record audio from built-in mic ( no imput mic ext) and XLR ( ch1 or ch2) same time but separately. The audio on xlr ch1 is mono or stereo?
Tanks and excuse my english.
Hélio
Helio Couto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 03:54 PM   #2
Major Player

Hélio,
The answer to your question is no. You can either use the onboard mic or the xlr inputs but not both at the same time. As far as ch1 or ch2, each channel is mono but you can set the camera to record two tracks of audio from one input. Check the switches just above the inputs for your options. The onboard vs. xlr setting is in the camera menu. Good luck.
Josh Laronge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 11th, 2009, 04:15 PM   #3
New Boot

Tank you by your response. Them what can i do for to record two audio separately and both at the same time? Is possíbble using the imput mic ext ( p2 ) and xlr, or only xlr ch1 and ch2?
Tank's
Hélio
Old June 12th, 2009, 07:31 AM   #4
New Boot

If you're going to need to use the onboard mics as well as an external source, you're going to need an external recorder as well.
Old June 12th, 2009, 10:34 AM   #5
Inner Circle

I think this feature is implemented in XH-A1s
Old June 12th, 2009, 05:13 PM   #6
Major Player

Hilo,

No, the xha1 will not record both ext mic and input from the xlrs.

Suggestion: use two mics(XLR), and set the xlr controls to record on seperate channels.
In post, (I use Sony Vegas) you can create a new audio track and copy the original audio. Next, select left channel only on one track and select mono output. Then do the same with the right channel. Now you can edit each source seperately and both tracks will play out of left and right channels.

Hope this helps. Hope you can understand my english. Good Luck.

This might be a solution as well: XLR Audio Adapter - XLR Audio Adapter to mini plug for video cameras XLR Audio Adapter
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2009, 07:08 AM   #7
New Boot

Thanks Michael,

I will to record with two mic xlr. One in the ch1 and other in the ch2. I will to adjust xh-a1 for ch1-ch2 in xlr setup. Is correct?
I have a mic lav AZDEN 105LT with adapter p2 to xlr.

Thank you,
Hélio
Old June 13th, 2009, 05:14 PM   #8
Major Player

Helio,

Yes, go to menu, Audio Set up and switch to xlr.

Then test your set up. Good luck.
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I use a wireless via XLR to ch1 and a shotgun mic via XLR to ch2. I start off with mic in manual and adjust input of wireless feed (or from soundboard) with the volume in the middle (like it is pointing horizontal). After the output from the sound source is set to the right level, I can then go auto. The shotgun I usually have to use attenuation for things like Receptions. Of course in many settings you will have to manually control your volume.

So my reception setup gets audio from the DJ soundboard via wireless to my xlr ch2 and live audio via shotgun to my xlr ch1. Then in post I can mix to get best sound with just enough live.

Second approach I use the unbalanced stereo plug input with two wireless tranmitters/receivers by taking the stereo out of the receiver and putting it into a stereo to mono adapter plug for each receiver, then plug the mono inputs into a mono to stereo adapter that plugs into the camcorder. That way I have left chan one receiver, right channel the other receiver.

Bill in Ohio
Bill Ritter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders