DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Shooting memorial stones (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/237241-shooting-memorial-stones.html)

Philip Younger June 12th, 2009 10:30 AM

Shooting memorial stones

I have a problem with shooting memorial stones. The headstones and plaques are white with the names just cut out of the stone (i.e. not coloured). The sun shines directly on to these stones throughtout the day (they face south) and I am trying to figure out the best way to get good clear imagery.

I am going to France next month to film WW1 cemetery footage. I have been practising at home with similar headstones (people must think I'm mad!).

Any sugestions anyone?

Bill Pryor June 12th, 2009 02:24 PM

Shoot in the early morning or late evening when the sun is at an angle.

Allan Black June 12th, 2009 03:07 PM

Take a white transparent umbrella from a lighting shop or Ebay, to diffuse the light. Get someone to hold it in position or take a lightweight tripod.

Cheers.

Jim Miller June 12th, 2009 05:56 PM

You might also try using a polarizing filter to cut down on reflections. I've used them with success on similar surfaces. Shielding the light with a white umbrella as mentioned above is great too and will reduce glare and contrast.

Chris Soucy June 12th, 2009 11:53 PM

Hi Philip..........

The standardised military headstones in Europe are best shot using a seperate light source to force a steeply angled shadow using the engraving.

This can either be a reflector (not all that easy if South facing as the angles just don't work) or a powered light system of some sort.

Using the previously mentioned suggestions of a light shade and a shadow light should hit it off about right.

Keeps the contrast easier to deal with as well.

Bit of a bugger if shooting "one up" as there won't be enough hands to go 'round.

CS

Philip Younger June 13th, 2009 07:05 AM

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to have to try several shots I think using a combination of techniques

Colin Reid June 13th, 2009 02:15 PM

Hi Philip,

I will be visiting the Somme in November and will also be shooting in a couple of war cemeteries. A bit of a cheek I know, but it would be great if you could post the results of your filming once you get back, with info about the technique used.

Good luck with it.

Colin

Philip Younger June 14th, 2009 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Colin Reid (Post 1158126)
Hi Philip,

I will be visiting the Somme in November and will also be shooting in a couple of war cemeteries. A bit of a cheek I know, but it would be great if you could post the results of your filming once you get back, with info about the technique used.

Good luck with it.

Colin

Yes I will do that, however over the weekend my plans have had to change, it will be early September before I go now :-( - maybe the light will be better!