best settings for broadcasting quality at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old June 23rd, 2009, 03:50 AM   #1
Tourist

best settings for broadcasting quality

I've always been filming in HDV 50i but I really need some advice.
I really want to deliver the best quality and since sometimes strange artifacts occur in codec's, I decided to rethink my workflow. I need to deliver for broadcasting, I live in the Netherlands and PAL uncompressed avi will do.

I got a Canon XH-A1 and I can record in SD 25F or SD 50i and HDV 25F or DHV 50i.

First the SD 50i or the SD 25F modes, I know the difference but which one is better? Is it wise to record in
SD, I know ill deliver to SD eventually because the networks wont allow HD.
Or should I stay away from SD recordings and record everything in HDV. Maybe I'ts me but I think all the recordings in HDV are much clearer and richer in colour?

Recordings in 50i really show a lot of interlaced lines, for example in zooms or other fast movements.
The 25F gives clearer images overall, since there are no interlaced lines, some small artifacting still occur but I don't think I can do anything about that? Should I switch to 25F? Or are there a lot of disadvantage's I don't know about?

I edit in premiere with a Matrox RTX2 card and 25F will not be supported, but if the quality will go up,....
treewhisperer
Brian Hokke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 06:43 AM   #2
Trustee

Short answer... Contact the broadcaster you will be providing content for, and ask them for their broadcast spec sheet.
David W. Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2009, 08:33 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi Brian. You will get the best quality shooting in HDV and downconverting in your NLE.

The choice of 25F or 50i depends partly on what you are shooting, and partly on personal artistic choice. Sports and fast moving subjects work better in 50i because the effective frame rate is higher. Progressive mode can look a bit juddery for this type of footage. On the other hand, if you are shooting a film, progressive might help give the look you want, but you do need to be more careful with panning speeds and fast action shots.

Try not to decide on progressive or interlaced based on the fact that you are currently seeing interlace artifacts. That can probably be fixed by choosing different project or render settings, and is not inevitable at all.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders