DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Feature being shot on XHA1 w/Letus (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/237904-feature-being-shot-xha1-w-letus.html)

Bryan Wilkat June 24th, 2009 11:27 AM

Feature being shot on XHA1 w/Letus

Here's a link to our trailer (or sample footage, if you will).

JULIET IS THE SUN

it's the XHA1 w/Letus, Nikon lenses and VIVIDRGB preset. I preferred the Canon's stock white balance presets for tungsten and sunlight over custom white balancing. I felt it gave a warmer look to the image whereas custom white balancing (especially in tungsten settings) was cooler and seemed like vivid to me (but thats just my preference).

Christopher Warwick June 24th, 2009 01:42 PM

Hi Bryan,

It looks very promising. What mount do you have on the Letus, Nikon? As a matter of interest, what lenses are you using?

Are you going to take it to the festivals?

Chris

Bryan Wilkat June 24th, 2009 04:34 PM

Hey Chris,

Yeah I got the Nikon mount, we've been using a 35mm, 50mm and a 70-300mm Sigma that works on both digital and manual slr's (it's a heavy lens but has a handy macro setting for extreme close ups! if you look for it, look for a used one cause the new ones are for Digital slr's only!)

We do plan to submit to festivals as well as screen at some local Theatres here in montreal, hopefully we can find some distribution too, so if there are any distributers out there..?

-Bryan

Luke Hill June 24th, 2009 06:09 PM

Well done - I hope it does well for you!

Dennis Murphy June 24th, 2009 06:44 PM

I like the look of that. It has a raw hard-coreness about it.

Scott Gold June 25th, 2009 10:14 AM

Loved the look of it. Very well shot. My only gripe is that I felt like the music was misplaced.... didn't seem to fit the look or feel of the footage and edit.

Looks great! Thanks for sharing.

Cole McDonald June 25th, 2009 02:31 PM

I've been using the presets as well on my XL1s - I can then adjust the look using gels on the lights (I also have one preset balanced to a light peach piece of scrapbooking paper to push the image cooler - got the idea from the marlathemovie website). These 3 tend to be everything I shoot with.

Bryan Wilkat June 26th, 2009 10:26 AM

Hey, thanks for all your feedback guys! I'm pretty flattered right now, heheh

and Cole, that's friggin' brilliant! I'm gonna go test that out, thanks!

also Dennis, I love that surf footage on your website, it looks awesome!

Cole McDonald June 26th, 2009 11:53 PM

super subtle colors though, anything more will throw it way off. If you get all the main ones and keep them in a folder, you can skew the color any way you'd like (it'll skew toward the complimentary color - opposite on the color wheel) to get any effect you want.

Huge warehouse art stores are my friends... we also just used some of those "broken ice" water crystals for plants to stand in for broken glass that we threw in someone's face :) Amazing piece of footage that!

Dennis Murphy June 27th, 2009 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bryan Wilkat (Post 1163859)
also Dennis, I love that surf footage on your website, it looks awesome!

Cheers! It was a lovely light at that beach.