Azden SGM-2X Shotgun Mic at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 21st, 2009, 01:11 PM   #1
New Boot

Azden SGM-2X Shotgun Mic

Does anybody know anything about whether this mic has phantom power, needs phantom power or just what phantom power is? I have a Canon XH-A1 and need to know if I need to set it for phantom power or not with this mic. I know this doesn't have anything to do with Avid, but I thought someone might be more informed than me.

Thanks

Azden SGM-2X - Super-Cardioid Shotgun Condenser Microphone
Joe Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 02:12 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The microphone does not require phantom, it has an internal AAA battery. The Azden web site says "no phantom power".

Phantom is just a crafty way of getting the camera or other connected equipment to power the microphone pre-map using a standard 3 conductor XLR -XLR cable. The power supply is carried 'piggyback' style on the back of the audio. In the microphone, circuitry simply hives it off and uses it. When you switch the phantom on, power is applied to the mic. A microphone that doesn't need this power supply just ignores it - rather neat really.
Paul R Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 02:27 PM   #3
New Boot

Phantom Power

šSo, to be clear. I should set the camera +48V switch on the front to ON like it says in the manual?
Joe Nelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2009, 05:46 PM   #4
Major Player

Joe,

NO, the phantom power needs to be in the OFF POSITION. The AAA Battery supplies the power for the mic. You can damage the mic if you turn the phantom power to ON. I have this mic.....Not the best in the world, but pleased with it for the price and what I use it for.
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2009, 06:02 AM   #5
New Boot

Thanks Mike. I did some testing last night. Sound levels seem to be good.
Joe Nelson is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders