DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Surf Movie (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/240056-surf-movie.html)

Bill Thesken July 31st, 2009 01:50 AM

Surf Movie

New trailer, comments please from the toughest crowd in town.....
PS - Great camera that XHA1.

Surf Movie By Bill Thesken On ExposureRoom

Tony Davies-Patrick July 31st, 2009 04:54 AM

I like the idea of zooming inside the lens for the opening and closing shot. The background sound of the opening introduction however is quite bad and this makes it difficult to hear your voice clearly.

The music fits the footage nicely (maybe it would fit a Quentin Tarantino film too! :)).

The fast change of clips to match the beat works OK, although I'd maybe hold each image slightly longer before each change.

I'd like to have seen some tighter shots of the surfers (although the XHA1 lens maybe doesn't give enough reach) and maybe also a few sections of footage taken in the water (if you have a housing or Ewa watertight bag.

Nice work Bill and I enjoyed watching it!

Bill Thesken August 3rd, 2009 02:15 AM

Thanks Tony,
about a year ago I watched quite amazed at Steven Dempsey's "The Remarkable Gift", and thought what a cool aspect, zooming into the lenses with super quick clips. You could barely see them, but they registered. I don't know if he invented it, but it's a stroke of genius.
To me it's like a analogy of life, we zip through our days, months, years, lives, the scenes are too quick, but there are clips in slow motion, the ones that stick out. Surfing is like that for us, pulling into a wave that's tubing, driving down the line getting ready to rip an off the lip. Time slows down. There are other moments in life where time slows down, but that's for another show.....

BTW- some mighty big fish on your website !

Rich Woodrick August 7th, 2009 09:20 AM

Great clip Bill. I love the concept. The only thing that didn't work for me was the extreme color at around 1:00. Maybe use some other effect like old color film or something a little less drastic of a change. But man, that is one fantastic clip.

Bill Thesken August 7th, 2009 03:52 PM

[QUOTE=Rich Wood;1192316]extreme color at around 1:00. QUOTE]

That's infrared footage. ( I used a Vegas plug-in to make that footage infrared.....:)
Thanks for watching !

John Wiley August 7th, 2009 05:48 PM

Nice!

Is that Ala Moana bowls? Been to Hawaii a few times but always in the Winter time so I've never seen the southside breaks get really good.
Last season the North Shore was amazing - can't wait to go again!

Bill Thesken August 8th, 2009 01:18 AM

A couple of shots of Ala Moana for the State Championships in June. I'll bet Burleigh Heads has been great this summer, looking forward to surfing that spot someday.

Danny Winn August 23rd, 2009 11:16 AM

Very cool, I'm still afraid to get my A1s anywhere near water. hehe