XH-A1 On camera light! question. - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old October 9th, 2008, 04:29 PM   #76
New Boot

Taky, to which light are you referring?
thanks
John Arnold Ph.D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 9th, 2008, 04:40 PM   #77
Inner Circle

I'm talking about the SWIT S-2010 light. I have also Canon VL-10 as well as LitePanel Micro. LP MIcro looks cute but it's the weakest light among all. It's very flimsy too.
Old October 10th, 2008, 07:51 PM   #78
Tourist

I've tried the Canon,
Anton Bauer set up
as well as the
ikan iLED 100 Kit
Each have their places but I really like the options in the iKan model and the overall set up of the Anton Bauer.
David Reynolds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 13th, 2008, 08:26 PM   #79
Regular Crew

Taky - Did you get to use the Varizoom light for your wedding this past weekend - If so, what is your impression of the light? I was thinking of getting this LED that will run off of my Panasonic batteries that I use with the DVX100. I currently use a Frezzi mini fill light with dimmer but I'm geting tired of carrying around the battery belt during the entire reception.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taky Cheung View Post
Okay, I just received mine. Paid $438 all together including shipping and tax.

It's a nice looking light but defintely NOT as bright as they claim (40W). After the diffuse filter and the color correction filter, it's even less bright than the Canon VL-10 light which is only rated 10W output. I will be using it this weekend in a wedding. More result to come.
Michael Kirinovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2008, 10:41 AM   #80
Inner Circle

I used the SWIT light for the last 2 weddings. Overall I like it very much especially with the long battery life (i used it with the BP-970G battery). I like the flexibility of the light with the color temperture filter and the diffuse filter.

When I do close up interview, i will use the dimmer + diffuse filter so the object warmly lit without any harsh highlight. When I use it in reception, I remove the diffuse filter to increase the light intensity.

If I need more light, I will remove the color temperate correction filter. The blue-tint is then fixed by a white balance preset in XH-A1. works well so far.

Also, I mounted the light and the battery holder onto this hot shoe extended bar. So it's a lot faster to mount the light on and off.

Rycote | 037303 Hot Shoe Extension | 037303 | B&H Photo Video

I stop using the LitePanel Micro as it's not bright enough, and, I hate to change battery every hour.

If I have time, I will post some footage.
Old October 22nd, 2008, 03:27 PM   #81
Regular Crew

Taky - Thanks for the great feedback! I would love to see some footage from your weddings with the light in some of the scenarios that you talked about - especially the first dance under low light conditions where you have to stand at the edge of the dance floor.

Other questions - How wide is the spread of the beam of light? Do you shoot wide screen/HD? How long did your battery last and at what power? Did you need to switch batteries during the event? I have few long life Panasonic batteries for my DVX100 that I'd like to use since the new Panny HMC150 won't use the old batteries.(I'll be upgrading the cam before the next wedding season!)

And if you have time can you post a photo of your cam with the light on the extended hot shoe bar. I'm have a mental block as far as visualizing the light and battery on the bar.

Thanks,
Mike
Michael Kirinovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 26th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #82
Go Cycle

I just tried the new Switronix Torch LED. It is self-contained 30 watts with a filter kit.... so I don't have to attach an external battery to my Frezzi anymore. It's suppose to last over two hours. I placed my order last week.

Switronix - Products
Old October 27th, 2008, 06:58 AM   #83
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lou Bruno View Post
I just tried the new Switronix Torch LED. It is self-contained 30 watts with a filter kit.... so I don't have to attach an external battery to my Frezzi anymore. It's suppose to last over two hours. I placed my order last week.

Switronix - Products
Where did you buy from? I am VERY interested as I'm in the market for an on-camera light that isn't so heavy and harsh. A built in battery sounds good too :). Please post some clips with it when you can!
Randy Panado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 03:04 PM   #84
Regular Crew

Have any of you heard of this led ligth 35w made by Bescor? :
Bescor | LED-35 On Camera Light | LED35 | B&H Photo Video

It's only 189.00
Alain Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #85
Trustee

It would be nice if they stated it has a dimmer or not.

Resembles a re-badged LitePanel micro

Edit: Actually it does not resemble rebadged LitePanel Micro
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 08:33 AM   #86
Regular Crew

LP Micro vs. NRG Light

Hey all...

I searched the forums for info on this and found a thread from only about a month ago that dealt with lights, but it didn't really help give me an answer one way or the other, so I'm sorry if this may seem redundant.

I am finally getting my XH A1. B&H is now listing the A1s, so the price has been reduced. I need a light was well (obviously) and want to make sure I get a good one (obviously again). B&H lists the LP Micro on their A1 page and the reviews I read say they are pretty good. But then I came across the previously mentioned thread which mentioned the NRG light and wondering which one would be best for what I am going to be using the camera for, which is weddings. I am kind of leaning towards the LP Micro, but any help that can be offered would be much appreciated.

Thanks!
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 11:10 PM   #87
Regular Crew

I purchased the LP Micro light and decided to send it back. It is good for a close-up interview light but does not have enough throw or wide enough spread to be good for more than 4 feet away. I have been using several lights and each has it problems. I use an Lowel ID-Light for grand entrance, first dance and speeches. I am usually on tripod so an external battery is no big deal. For the other shots I use a custom built light with 150 LEDs or my Sony HVL-20DW2 with a Stofen diffuser. I had some luck with a Swit S-2010 but the external battery/clamp is a pain. I have worked with some other shooters that use the Sony HVL-LBP which works very well but with the battery it makes the camera very top heavy.
Old December 14th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #88
Major Player

I tried a LPmicro and returned it after the first day due to very low light output. Many people have written they are happy with them for close up work but even then I couldn't see how, it's just not much light. I also thought it was cheaply built and extremely overpriced. If I was going LitePanel I would pick a higher up in their product line to likely solve all these issues.

After returning the LPmicro I purchased a Zylight Z90 and power it with a Tekkeon battery and love it for many uses. I don't have any experience with the NRG light so I cannot comment there, sorry.

All the best,
James Hooey
James Hooey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:11 PM   #89
Regular Crew

10 Watt Light Uses?

Hello all. I am finally going to use my new XH A1 for the first time this weekend at a wedding and now full of questions until then...

I have a 10 watt light sitting around from my GL2 sitting around that I never really used. It's only 10 watts, so very low light. Can anyone think of any practical use for it at a wedding?
Daniel Fessak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2009, 04:31 PM   #90
Major Player

If it's camera mounted, it may help getting interviews during the reception which is typically a low light situation. Other than that, I can't see it being of much use.
Marcel D. Van Someren is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders