XH-A1 On camera light! question. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old July 31st, 2006, 09:15 AM   #1
Regular Crew

VL-10LI2 On Cam light. New?

I just noticed a new version of the Canon On Cam Light VL-10LI2 in the accesories list. Looking at the pic it appears identical to the previous version, VL0Li.
At USA CAnon's site This last is under XL2, while the new is under the new cams. But what's the difference between them? looks the same to me....

Alexis
Alexis Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2006, 08:51 PM   #2
Regular Crew

External light recommendations for the A1?

Since it is a cold shoe, what external light models would be recommended for it and I would assume that Canon would sell the batteries for these external lights, since the A1 will not power it?
thanks
Jerry
Jerry Gordon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 10:22 AM   #3
Wrangler

I removed two replies to Jerry's question because they either linked or recommended vendors that are not sponsors of DVi. Please review the sponsor page for the reason this is policy, as well as a list of top-notch businesses who ARE DVi sponsors. Thanks.
Pete Bauer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:33 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I can understand that but would it have been ok, just to edit out the link and leave the models there? that was what I was asking for what models/brands?

Thanks
Jerry.
Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:38 PM   #5
Contributor

My fault, mea culpa. I just named a place. Could just as easily have said B&H. Check their web site for on camera lights. There are lots of different ones in a big price spread.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2006, 03:50 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Thanks Bill.

I had not realized that the sony 10-20 would work I have one of those.

Which would lend to another question.

Since it is not a HOT shoe, is it a SMART shoe, like on the VX 2100?
thanks
Jerry
Old November 2nd, 2006, 04:04 PM   #7
Trustee

Jerry- are you not happy with it's low light video performance or just want to add better lighting to poor lighting?
Old November 2nd, 2006, 09:58 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Nunez
Jerry- are you not happy with it's low light video performance or just want to add better lighting to poor lighting?
chuckling...I use it mostly for close up of daughter's bday and that type of thing.
Jerry
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:02 AM   #9
Regular Crew

IDX X3 Led light connection

I was wondering if this cable: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...ughType=search is suppose to power the IDX X3 light, and if it's pluggable to this camera's xlr microphone plug.
If not, how would I be able to use light with the camera? Could it be powered through the hot shoe?
Thanks.
Sergio Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #10
Contributor

That's a 4-pin cable and probably has to go to a separate battery pack.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:26 AM   #11
Obstreperous Rex

The camera's XLR mic jacks are there for audio signal input only. They don't provide any power going out (well, there is a very slight amount of electrical output called "phantom power" if needed for certain types of older condenser mics). The XLR jacks on the camera are the three-pin variety, a common standard for the transfer of audio signals. The cable you're looking at in the link you've provided is a four-pin power cable. Never mind that an audio input jack isn't going to provide power for an OB light... the main thing is that a four-pin XLR power plug is not going to fit in a three-pin XLR audio jack.

Nor will you find any power at the accessory shoe mount of the XH A1 or G1. It is a "cold shoe" without power. It will communicate with a Canon EOS photo flash, but that's about it.

The way to provide power to this light is from any of a variety of compatible external battery packs, which can be mounted on or near the camera, or your tripod, stabilizer or shoulder support, or on your person.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 13th, 2006, 09:35 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hurd
The way to provide power to this light is from any of a variety of compatible external battery packs, which can be mounted on or near the camera, or your tripod, stabilizer or shoulder support, or on your person.
Thanks! I'll be looking for those external battery packs...
Sergio Barbosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 1st, 2006, 01:36 PM   #13
Major Player

Yikes, what about light?

This caught me by suprise, this camera does not have a hole to mount a stud for camera light, how do you guys mount a light that use a stud?
Old December 1st, 2006, 02:49 PM   #14
Major Player

Never mind, I found an adapter for it.
Old December 2nd, 2006, 04:33 PM   #15
Major Player

Khoi -- any first impressions re: lowlight performance, etc.?
Dave Lammey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders