XHA1 to HDTV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old August 2nd, 2009, 08:06 PM   #1
Regular Crew

XHA1 to HDTV

I must be missing something obvious. I see the XHA1 has composite, BNC and RGB outputs. What is the best way to connect the camera to a HDTV as a monitor? The HDTV's I've seen only have HDMI or DVI input connectors.

Jeff
Jeff Dillon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 12:47 AM   #2
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dillon View Post
I must be missing something obvious. I see the XHA1 has composite, BNC and RGB outputs. What is the best way to connect the camera to a HDTV as a monitor? The HDTV's I've seen only have HDMI or DVI input connectors.

Jeff
Hi Jeff. My Panasonic plasma TV has component video inputs as well. I suppose it depends on the model of TV.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 03:02 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dillon View Post

Jeff
The XHA1 has component connector not composite. Red, green and blue leads that connect to the HD TV with red/blue/green connector. The cable that comes with the XH A1 has at one end a connector that looks like a dvi connector which goes to the back of your camera and the other end has the three coloured cables red, blue and green.

If the HD TV does not have these connectors (and only has HDMI or dvi, then you would require an adapter to connect, such as this;
Dvi = http://sewelldirect.com/DVI-to-Compo...-Cable-6ft.asp

HDMI = HDMI Male to 5 RCA RGB Audio Video AV Component Cables on eBay (end time 20-Aug-09 11:30:35 BST)

If you did buy a cable such as the above then you would need a female to female connector;
http://www.cablestogo.com/product.as...=120&sku=40648
Anthony J. Howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:00 AM   #4
Major Player

A point of clarification, the A1 does have composite as well as component. The composite can be accessed by the custom cable or through the BNC connector. I wouldn't recommend using composite, however, for critical focus applications on an external monitor.
Old August 3rd, 2009, 09:40 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel D. Van Someren View Post
A point of clarification, the A1 does have composite as well as component. The composite can be accessed by the custom cable or through the BNC connector. I wouldn't recommend using composite, however, for critical focus applications on an external monitor.
Your right I missed that one.
Anthony J. Howe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 11:33 AM   #6
Regular Crew

You'll need a converter box, as component is analog, and HDMI and DVI are both digital. Beware of anyone trying to sell you a "component-to-HDMI cable". Those do not exist.

This link has an example of converter boxes:
Component video to HDMI adapter converter

There is also a link to the fictitious "comp-to-HDMI" cable on that page. http://www.hdtvsupply.com/component-to-hdmi-cable.html
They're not trying to sell it, they explain why the cable does not exist.

I leave the cable that came with the XH-A1 stuck to the back of my Panasonic plasma. It has component HD inputs.

Last edited by Ken Wozniak; August 3rd, 2009 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Added link.
Ken Wozniak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:36 PM   #7
Regular Crew

My HDTV must be getting outdated! Last I checked, most if not all HDTVs still had component cables, and only the higher end ones had HDMI. Sure you're not just missing them somewhere?
Old August 3rd, 2009, 02:44 PM   #8
Contributor

You're right. Sometimes they like to hide the ports behind little doors.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2009, 06:51 AM   #9
Major Player

I haven't used this personally, but have generally been happy with monoprice products. If it works, not bad for about 40 bucks:
Component -> HDMI Converter

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders