which 30mm adapter to gbuy for my Canon XH-A1s ? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old August 10th, 2009, 12:40 PM   #1
Regular Crew

which 30mm adapter to gbuy for my Canon XH-A1s ?

i know nothing about adopters but i have heard these 35mm adapters like Letus35 can do wonders for you ? is that true?

i have a canon xl2 and xh-a1s ... where do i get some info on what these adapters and which one to buy and if they are really useful

tanks
Old August 10th, 2009, 01:49 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Here: Alternative Imaging Methods - The Digital Video Information Network
Old August 17th, 2009, 02:18 PM   #3
Regular Crew

35mm adapters are expensive pieces of gear and they require a lot of technical knowledge to use well, so I'd HIGHLY recommend reading a lot about them and asking many questions before you decide to purchase one. However, what you hear is generally correct. While a 35mm won't make up for poor cinematography (good lighting and composition trumps having a 35mm adapter), a knowledgeable user can get some absolutely gorgeous footage from 35mm adapters.

The big companies in the 35mm adapter market are Shoot35 (SGblade), Cinevate (Brevis), Letus (Letus), Redrock Micro (m2). There are many other lower budget manufacturers, but I own a SGblade and wouldn't trade it for anything. Since 35mm adapters are a niche market, it's absolutely key to go with a company that has a good service and support program.

I can't emphasize it any more: research 35mm adapters before you purchase one. You need to have a great understanding of the 35mm adapter mechanics, parts, lenses, and manipulation of light to really be able to use one well. But go on Vimeo and check out the footage from the SGblade, or the Letus Extreme/Ultimate, and you'll find some great looking footage.

Personally, I use the SGblade with my Canon XH-A1. After spending a lot of time looking at footage, I found that the SGblade has a great working relationship with the XH-A1, and a lot of users find the same thing. The SGblade, for whatever reason, seems to produce a great look with the XH-A1.
Old August 17th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #4
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos View Post
That forum is one of our best achievements... the 35mm adapter was born on DV Info Net;
the concept started right here. There's no better place to research this particular topic.

Feel free to pick up the conversation there.

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders