Dust Inside Lens - Can it be fixed? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:46 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Dust Inside Lens - Can it be fixed?

Hi all,

I have a bit of dust which appears as a smudge almost on the centre of a lot of my shots, and has been spoiling my work recently. I usually get away with it, but when it comes to shots into the sky, or with a lot of blue sky in the shot, it really shows up.
Is this something that can be easily sorted? I don't know how it managed to get there if the whole lens is sealed.

Thanks
Martin Trotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2009, 02:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Iris Ring - not turning smoothly

if you know a decent cheap place in the UK / Scotland where I could send it to, that would be great.

thanks
Old September 2nd, 2009, 07:39 AM   #3
Major Player

It Can...if you're brave enough

One of the posters on this forum, Bo Sundvall, posted instructions on how to get into the optics:

Opening the lens house on a Canon XH-A1
Old September 2nd, 2009, 09:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

don't know if I'm brave enough to take that on! One guy I spoke to thinks it could be sut on the sensor. I had a closer look at the lens, and thought I could se soemthing before. Not so sure now.

Is there a way to clean the inside of the eyecup/viewfinder? That's needing a good clearout too.

Might just be best to get both done at once.

thanks for the advice
Old September 12th, 2009, 04:09 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi,

If you decide to send it to someone make sure you send your camera to a good standing company or alternatively to UK Canon in Elstree, they are quite reliable and take care of your gear. I am sure they will clean it for you with warranty etc. for a reasonable price.
Old September 13th, 2009, 04:05 PM   #6
Major Player

If your not 100% confident I would send it back to Canon, if you can't see the dust it could be a few things and at least they will be able to solve it without you causing more problems.
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2009, 03:45 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Martin - you can check to see if it's something on a lens element or something on the surface of the chip. Point your camera up at the clear sky and have the shutter locked at 1/50th but the gain free to roam.

Now film at max wide-angle and closest focus and max aperture (you might have to use the NDs) and slowly turn the iris wheel so that you end up filming at f/9.5. On replay on your TV you can call up 'display' to see what aperture was used when, and if the mark gets more obvious as you stop the lens down then yes, it's on an internal element.

If the mark remains constant then it's something shadowing the chip-block assembly. Either way it looks like a repair job.

tom.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2009, 01:31 AM   #8
Major Player

That's a great tip Tom thanks
Jonathan Shaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 5th, 2011, 08:31 PM   #9
New Boot

Re: It Can...if you're brave enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcel D. Van Someren View Post
One of the posters on this forum, Bo Sundvall, posted instructions on how to get into the optics:

Opening the lens house on a Canon XH-A1
I have not tried this yet, is there lots of XHA1 owners that have gone this far themselves?

I thought I had a unique problem then I came across this post. I had a fly in my camera too.

here are some clips off that dang black fly!

the black fly cloud, apparently they get 100X worse, im not too sure if you can tell how annoying they were on this shoot:
YouTube - ‪Black Fly Cloud‬‏

after the shoot I was shooting and noticed that a black fly was in the lens!:
YouTube - ‪Black Fly in Lens‬‏

a little research before you come to Northern Ontario:
YouTube - ‪The blackfly song‬‏
Nathan Allard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 8th, 2011, 03:32 AM   #10
Regular Crew

Re: Dust Inside Lens - Can it be fixed?

Bloody hell Nathan! Did you get the pesky little bugger out?

I have noticed that there is a very small gap between the body and the lens, underneath I think, but would have thought that this would have been too small for a fly to get in! had to laugh at that clip when you realised it was inside! lol!

Always amazes me how dust can get into a lens.
Martin Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 08:18 AM   #11
New Boot

I never got that bug out yet, there has been no sign of him yet.
I am going to attempt taking the camera apart....im still mentally preparing for this task.
Nathan Allard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 9th, 2011, 01:51 PM   #12
Major Player

Hi

Make sure you have GOOD screwdrivers and also make sure that they fit well in the tracks of the screw. As I remeber it's a pretty simple operation, but if the bug doesn't bother you any more it might not be worth the trouble. In my situation I had smashed the bug into the front glass which made a spot that was seen during filming, so I more or less had to remove tha glass and clean it.

Good luck!

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 10th, 2011, 01:02 PM   #13
New Boot

Thanks Bo,
The bug does not bug me yet as he is still MIA. I decided to let him RIP, until he rises back from the dead.
I will keep the GOOD screwdriver idea if I end up taking it apart.
Nathan Allard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders