DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   Wide Angle Adapter for XHA1s (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/364586-wide-angle-adapter-xha1s.html)

Alex DeJesus September 5th, 2009 05:34 PM

Wide Angle Adapter for XHA1s

I know there is another thread about this, but there are too many unrelated comments. Century Optics is one choice. How many other adapters are available? User feedback please.

Thanks

Janson Williams September 5th, 2009 11:54 PM

just get century optics, i love my fish from them and am about to purchase a wide angle as well, bayonet mount is awesome!

David W. Jones September 6th, 2009 05:49 AM

I use the Canon. The quality is good and the lens is a zoom through.

Colin McDonald September 6th, 2009 07:47 AM

Canon for me too but that's probably what caused my hernia.

Alex DeJesus September 6th, 2009 08:24 AM

Bayonet Mount? For XHA1s?

The lens on the XHA1s is not removable. do you think I meant the XLH1s?

David W. Jones September 6th, 2009 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alex DeJesus (Post 1319036)
The lens on the XHA1s is not removable. do you think I meant the XLH1s?

No, the XH-A1 with the WD-H72 wide angle lens adapter.

Colin McDonald September 7th, 2009 09:27 AM

This is all getting a bit surreal for me. I ignored Jason's bayonet just like I ignored his fish. Please don't make me laugh - it hurts. Someone please do a quick summary on the usual WA adaptors and whether they are zoom through or not.

Michael Ojjeh September 7th, 2009 10:51 AM

I have the 16X9 0.7x wide angle converter that works with my H1 and A1. It works fine but it is soft on the edges.
16x9 Inc. | 169-HD7X-72 0.7x Wide Angle Converter | 169-HD7X-72

Alex DeJesus September 7th, 2009 10:59 AM

Heavy Weight?

Anyone try the 16x9-HD7X-72 from 16x9, Inc.? That's the mfg. name. It weighs 19.2 ooz.

Adorama lists the WD-H72 at 2.3 pounds. Talk about a hernia! Is that correct? Are there any other choices besides the Canon and Century Optics and the the one above?

Battle Vaughan September 7th, 2009 11:18 AM

Yes, we tried the Century optics, orginally bought for a Sony Z1U, on the Canon. The Canon converter is matched to the XHa1 and was sharper on the edges. It is a quality piece of glass, although (as our colleagues point out) it is heavy. IMHO a bargain, however, for the price and quality. I put it on my XHA1 and never took it off..../Battle Vaughan

Jonathan Shaw September 8th, 2009 05:54 PM

Yep Canon for me too, produces get sharp images

Will Mahoney September 9th, 2009 09:33 AM

I use the WD-H72 exclusively. This lens is great, and just like Battle mentioned, I never take mine off of the camera. It is completely zoom-through and really doesn't take away any of my "reach" on the long end of the lens.

I shoot mostly automotive stuff, and the WD-H72 allows me to get ridiculously close to my subject matter (for extreme angles) and still be in crisp focus. I've accidentally bumped the edge of the lens (not the hood, the lens) into things I can be so close. Very nice.

A few examples (shot on XH-A1 w/ WD-H72):
2009 International Motorcycle Show - Cleveland, OH
2009 International Cycle Show - Cleveland, OH By Will Mahoney On ExposureRoom

2009 Cleveland International Auto Show:
2009 Cleveland Auto Show By Will Mahoney On ExposureRoom

Also, yes, this bad boy is heavy. I'm not kidding when I say that it feels like this lens doubled the weight of the camera. But no distortion, completely zoom-through, and the weight might assist in stabilizing the camera (which was not the case for the opening shot of the above cycle video... :( It took me forever to stabilize it in post, by hand.)

Cheers.

Christopher Neville September 10th, 2009 07:20 AM

Happy with the WD-H72

I have to agree with Will, the WD-H72 is great and I don't take it off my camera. I've been really pleased with the results it has given me. It is a bit heavy though.

Hubert Duijzer September 10th, 2009 02:24 PM

Another vote for the WD-H72. It sure is heavy, but the worst thing is, it makes the cam really Front heavy.
The good thing is, in combination with the A1's 20x zoom it will go from wide to decent close in a second or so. Ideal for weddings or every other fast live event.

Jonathan Shaw September 11th, 2009 08:38 PM

Only drawback of using it is that is a little harder to get a shallow depth of field at the long end of the lens.