Wondering if the presets are worth it at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 6th, 2009, 11:59 AM   #1
Major Player

Wondering if the presets are worth it

Hello,
I've shot a film, it's been submitted to many festivals, I'm waiting.
I shot using one of the presets from Mcallister, I liked the one I used, but frankly since I still had to do a huge amount of work on the color in post, I'm using Vegas, I'm wondering if it's actually worth it bothering at all about presets and instead not do all the color and desaturation work in post.

What do you think?
Larry
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:08 PM   #2
Major Player

I know for me that I have not seen a preset that I can't duplicate in post. I hate the thought of shooting a bunch of footage with a preset then not liking it after it's all been shot. I choose to color correct in post and then copy and paste that setting to all my other scenes.

You can't undo a preset like you can a post setting. Having said that, there are some people that like their favorite preset so much that they always shoot with it and never worry. I am not one of those.

Just depends on the shooter I guess.
Danny Winn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 6th, 2009, 12:13 PM   #3
Major Player

Right now I have a tendency to believe you're right!
Old September 6th, 2009, 06:26 PM   #4
Regular Crew

The camera's factory default might not look all that colourful or sharp and contrasty, but it captures the widest spectrum of useful information and is designed to be worked on, in post. I am even beginning to like the reality look of the camera tapes.
Don Xaliman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 03:01 AM   #5
Major Player

Hi

There is an article written by another forum user which describes how to get the most out of the XH-A1 and to have as much recorded information to work with in post:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh...ion-xh-a1.html

There is also a preset for this, TRUCOLOR, which also is described on the above link.

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2009, 07:29 AM   #6
Major Player

Correct

Don, you're right, what matters is to capture the widest spectrum of useful information.
BO, thanks for the link, very useful
L.
Old September 8th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Most of my shooting (event shooting) needs to be turned around as quick as possible, leaving no time for color correction. Before the event, I show a few examples of the presets and ask the client if they have a specific "look" they are after. Then I'll select the appropriate preset ahead of time and shoot away, limiting editing to dubbed audio and stills, transitions, and titles.

If I ever get off my duff and start shooting more creative works, I'd go without a preset and make the desired changes in post.
Old September 8th, 2009, 09:49 AM   #8
Major Player

Call me crazy, but I think I like the image of the HV30, over the XH-A1, and in post don't see any difference. I was talking to a guy at B&H, and mentioned that to him, he just laughed and said "don't tell anybody that".

I'm considering selling my A1 and getting a couple more HV30's and a 35 mm adopter. Am I crazy?
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 11:07 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Presets

I don't care for presets and don't use any of them. I experimented with a few but found them to be cumbersome and caused more work in post than I normally experience. So.......no presets for me!
Phil Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 05:05 PM   #10
Major Player

Phil,
So you shoot with presets "off"?
Michael Hutson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2009, 07:40 PM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Thames View Post
Call me crazy, but I think I like the image of the HV30, over the XH-A1, and in post don't see any difference. I was talking to a guy at B&H, and mentioned that to him, he just laughed and said "don't tell anybody that".

I'm considering selling my A1 and getting a couple more HV30's and a 35 mm adopter. Am I crazy?
The HV30 image is great as long as the lighting is reasonably good. The XH-A1 can work better in a wider range of lighting because of the amount of control it provides.

Richard
Richard Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2009, 06:30 AM   #12
New Boot

Does no preset really capture the widest spectrum of useful information?
I've been using a preset that looks almost identical to the factory setting but there is considerably less zebras (blown highlights) when shooting contrasting lighting. But it could just be my untrained eye.
Rashdan Radha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 12:39 AM   #13
Major Player

Rashdan,

that is why the XH-A1 is so good. It has a wide range of parameters to adjust depending on the situation. I'm not a video professional, I am an video hobbyist. I used to shoot as flat as possible using the TRUCOLOR preset but it forced me to do so much manipulation in post so I decided to use preset more often. I'm mostly using VIVID or PANALOOK presets and adjust them depending on the situation to get the look I want which saves me time in post as I find color grading pretty difficult. But that's my workflow and of course other people use their systems different.

Regards,

/Bo
Bo Sundvall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 04:59 AM   #14
Major Player

i have used the Trucolor preset for awhile (and am happy with it!), and just recently have been experimenting with color matching to a HV30. even white balanced in camera, it seems both cameras need CC to get a better white balance and get rid of color casts. i read that using the cinemode settings in the HV30 match better with the XHA1 in i forget which preset (#13???), but i found the cinemode to be anemic/soft, and even with extensive CC in post i could not make it either pleasing or match to the XHA1. I found when shooting 30f, the HV30 in TV with no other changes in camera can be matched really well with the XHA1 using Trucolor. i think i would have a hard time telling which camera is which... (maybe i don't have the best eyes...)
Brian David Melnyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2009, 06:13 AM   #15
Major Player

Bo what do you mean?

Bo you wrote: I used to shoot as flat as possible using the TRUCOLOR preset but it forced me to do so much manipulation in post so I decided to use preset more often"

What do you mean? Do you mean you have to color correct? That's the point isn't it?
You shoot TRUE COLOR then you try to find what you need in post?
Larry Secrest is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders