A weird one time problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Old September 21st, 2009, 01:50 PM   #1
Contributor

A weird one time problem

I got my XH A1 in late 2006 and have been using Sony PHDVM Digital Mastering tapes for around 2 years now. I've had zero problem since switching to the Sony tapes.

Last week I had a really strange problem and I don't think it's the tape, but I can't make the camera do it again.

I shot maybe 3-4 minutes of a scene. New tape. Everything before and after the problem on the tape was fine. What happened was that when trying to load the footage, it wouldn't load into FCP. Kept stopping. On close examination it appears to play for about a second or tow, then stop. Time code stops, frame freezes. Then after about 2 seconds it starts playing again, with the time code picking up about 2 seconds after where it was when the tape stopped. in other words, as if the time code was still running, though you can't see it. Then it does everything again.

In other words...scene plays for a few frames, stops, plays again, stops, plays again. Then the problem clears up and everything's fine. It does this on normal playback, not connected to the computer.

I unreeled some of the tape to see if I could spot any physical damage, but the tape looks perfectly good. So It must be something in the recording process, not like a pinch roller or anything mechanical. Or not.

I recorded more on the same tape downstream from the problem and everything's fine. Stop, start, rewind, try again, etc. Can't make it happen again. i tried playing the tape back in a different camera and get the same problem.

Now the camera makes me nervous and I feel compelled to check every take all the way through when i shoot. I've been shooting for many years with a wide variety of cameras and thought I had seen every tape problem that was possible. This is a new one for me. I really don't think there's anything wrong with the tape. I would be thrilled if I could chalk it up to a bad tape, but I don't think so.
Bill Pryor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 08:48 PM   #2
Tourist

A weird one time problem

I hope you receive an answer to this problem. I have also had this problem when playing back HDV footage. It apears to be fine in DV play back, but I am afraid to record projects in HDV. If you are having the same problem as I, pausing during playback. What has me confused is it pauses never in the same place twice on each play back. Hope to hear from someone where the problem is and how to correct this.
Jimmy Madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:34 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Uh Oh Bill, I bought mine in late 07 ...oh boy! but it's put away and can't see this thread.

Are you guys reusing your tapes and if so roughly how many times when you start seeing these problems?

Do you ever use the pause button when in record (or play) mode? I don't think anyone should in record, or if you do in play, is it used a lot? .. don't pause and wander off.

I use a HV20 for capturing A1 HDV material and never rewind by using fast shuttle, I stop first. It's slower but safer I believe. And I use the remote, saves punching the cams buttons a lot.

Also I think with cams getting stacks of use, folks should hit the cams reset button every couple of months. Won't hurt it, resets everything and you won't lose your presets.

Cheers.

Last edited by Allan Black; September 22nd, 2009 at 10:42 PM. Reason: can you pause in record? never tried it.
Allan Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2009, 10:58 PM   #4
Major Player

Same thing happened to me with a tape I recorded over. I was on the Phone to apple half the morning, I thought it was a firewire poet in my comupter or the camera, I was prepareing myself for the worse before I found out the problem was the tape. Since then I never record over a used tape.
Michael Thames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:56 AM   #5
Major Player

Well, I started reading the thread the other day thinking to myself "What the hell?" not perhaps quite grasping the problem and believing it to probably being the tape and so casually shrugged my shoulders and thought no more about it.

This morning however, I was capturing video off my XH-G1 from two different tapes, and I got the problem! just for a few seconds on both tapes. It happened twice on my brand new Sony DVM60-HD tape and once on a brand new Sony DVM60 Premium tape.

Quite extraordinary, I'm wondering if it's viral -some sort of deadly desease for camcorders or tapes.
Philip Younger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 23rd, 2009, 01:57 PM   #6
Tourist

As far as re-using tapes, no way. I always use new tapes for all projects. I am out of town for the moment but will post my tape brand later tonight. I guess it could be a tape problem, but was unsure due to it pausing was not happening in the same spot on the tape.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Tourist

The tapes I have always used are the Fujifilm Mini DV DVM60 ME. Have had no problems till now.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 04:25 PM   #8
Inner Circle

And you'll see folk come on here and say they reuse all their tapes without any problems.

As I said, hit the cameras reset button every couple of months, especially if it's older and getting a lot of use.

Kinda like checking for errors on your computers hard drive.

Cheers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders