DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/)
-   -   After Effects Export Question (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/canon-xh-series-hdv-camcorders/431188-after-effects-export-question.html)

Jason Sharaba September 23rd, 2009 03:43 PM

After Effects Export Question

Hi Folks,

I am a novice when it comes to Color Correction. So I have a simple question. Let's say I have a 30 second piece of footage that I bring into After Effects to do some special effects and composition work using 3DS Max targa sequences. Once I am finished, I want to bring my footage back into Premiere.

My question is; What format (example: .avi) and compression settings should I use to export the footage? I don't want to compress it too much, because it will compress again when I export from Premiere, right? Or am I even asking the right question?

Thanks for your help!

Jason

Daniel Bates September 23rd, 2009 05:51 PM

What version of Adobe software are you using? I'm not sure how far back this feature is implemented, but CS4 at least can use Dynamic Link to directly import After Effects compositions into Premiere.

Danny Winn September 23rd, 2009 07:22 PM

The way I do it is that I totally complete my editing without the special effects, then I open After effects and import the Premire Pro project (this next part is VERY IMPORTANT), all your clips will load and it will take a little time, once they're all loaded, double click on the "sequence" file only. All your clips will load up in order. Then add your effects to whatever clips need them and export the final product from After Effects, this will eliminate exporting it twice and losing clarity.

(NOTE)
Instead of doing a bunch of color correcting and sound editing in Premiere Pro, I would do it all in After effects because I think all the correcting in PPRo does not show up when you import it this way. Just use PPro for your sequencing in other words.

Here's some of mine where I used this exact technique.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bMXsZEwBV10

YouTube - Funny Monster.com Commercial (In HD)

Jason Sharaba September 23rd, 2009 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daniel Bates (Post 1389909)
What version of Adobe software are you using? I'm not sure how far back this feature is implemented, but CS4 at least can use Dynamic Link to directly import After Effects compositions into Premiere.

I am using CS4.

Jason Sharaba September 23rd, 2009 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danny Winn (Post 1390232)
The way I do it is that I totally complete my editing without the special effects, then I open After effects and import the Premire Pro project (this next part is VERY IMPORTANT), all your clips will load and it will take a little time, once they're all loaded, double click on the "sequence" file only. All your clips will load up in order. Then add your effects to whatever clips need them and export the final product from After Effects, this will eliminate exporting it twice and losing clarity.

(NOTE)
Instead of doing a bunch of color correcting and sound editing in Premiere Pro, I would do it all in After effects because I think all the correcting in PPRo does not show up when you import it this way. Just use PPro for your sequencing in other words.

Here's some of mine where I used this exact technique.

YouTube - Hilarious Butterfinger Commercial - (In HD)

YouTube - Funny Monster.com Commercial (In HD)

HAHA! Very cool video! Thanks for you advice! I will experiment with both ideas. :)

Danny Winn September 23rd, 2009 10:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jason Sharaba (Post 1390246)
HAHA! Very cool video! Thanks for you advice! I will experiment with both ideas. :)

Thanks, lemme know if you need anymore help with that.

Danny Winn
www.youtube.com/DannyWinnVideo