Interlaced 30f at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders

Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders
Canon XH G1S / G1 (with SDI), Canon XH A1S / A1 (without SDI).

Closed Thread

Old September 23rd, 2009, 05:29 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Interlaced 30f

I normally shoot in HD 30f but I'm having troubles with my editing system (here's the thread: http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/attend-w...stability.html). So I have decided to shoot in SD 30f for the time being, but guess what, Another problem! The supposedly progressive 30f mode captures as interlaced 60i in Premiere Pro. The final output will be for web.

Which leads to another question, is there a difference in quality between shooting in progressive on the A1 to begin with and deinterlacing 60i in post?

Any Ideas?
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:13 PM   #2
Major Player

You can capture at HDV 1080p 30. When you're setting up your project and it asks you to select your "new sequence" settings, select "HDV" under the available presets, then select "HDV 1080p 30. I've been using this setting since i got my XH A1s, it's beautiful!

If you have to use SD, just make sure your export settings are set to progressive, that's all I've ever used, I never use interlaced.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:17 PM   #3
Major Player

I agree, I think it is your nle.....not the camera.

Refer to page 40 of xha1 manual.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 07:17 PM   #4
Major Player

Well remember, in SD modes, it is recording to the DV standard. So both 24F and 30F progressive modes will be laid down on tape as an interlaced stream.

In 30F, both fields will be comprised of the same frame, so in essence, it is still progressive. 24F will have a pulldown added.

The modes will stay fully progressive in HD mode, no laying on tape as interlaced.
Old September 23rd, 2009, 08:01 PM   #5
Regular Crew

The 30f videos really are interlaced. It's apparent just by watching them. In both Premiere and AE they are identified as interlaced in the interpret footage dialog box. Why?
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:00 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Here's a sample clip shot in 24f, but is still interlaced. What's going on?

http://www.archive.org/download/Rive...rlaced_24f.avi
Old October 8th, 2009, 06:54 PM   #7
Regular Crew

That interlacing has to be coming from your editing workflow. The .avi you provided is 720x480 at 29.97fps. Your NLE must be set up to render as NTSC interlaced. I use vegas, not premiere, but there must be some way for you to set the project as progressive..
Old October 8th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #8
Regular Crew

That is the RAW untranscoded video from the A1 shot in 24f DV 16/9. Premiere interprets it as 720x480 23.976 Lower Field First. It was captured in a DV 24p project.
Old October 8th, 2009, 09:31 PM   #9
Major Player

I just looked at y our clip, and it seems fine.

Remember, 24F in SD is exactly how the DVX dealt with 24P. There is a 3:2 pulldown added to conform it to 60i (29.97). I just took your clip and did a reverse 3:2 pulldown removal, and extracted the 24F just fine.

24F is only laid to tape in as native 24 frames if shot in HDV mode.
Old October 8th, 2009, 10:52 PM   #10
Regular Crew

How would I do a reverse 3:2 pulldown removal in Premiere? In the interpret footage dialogue box there is a check mark next to: "Remove 24p DV pulldown". This is the first time I've ever dealt with 24p video, so if you could explain it to me I would appreciate it.
Old October 9th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Galvan View Post
Well remember, in SD modes, it is recording to the DV standard. So both 24F and 30F progressive modes will be laid down on tape as an interlaced stream.
So Michael, are you saying that the A1 cannot shoot in SD progressively, only HD? If that is true what is the difference between 30i and 30f in SD? Thanks
Old October 9th, 2009, 04:22 PM   #12
Major Player

Mitch,

Yes, it totally shoots and lays as progressive in SD as well as HD.

The difference is in HD, it lays it at 24 discrete frames per second to tape and that's it. You can capture it into your editing system 1:1.

In SD, if you shot 24F, it lays it to tape as 60i by introducing a 3:2 pulldown (or 3:2:2:3 pulldown - you can choose which method in camera). Every DV camera that shoots 24 progressive does a pulldown as the minidV standard is 60i.

So in order to reclaim the 24F which has been embedded in the stream, is to remove it, either upon capture, or after capturing to 60i, and thus bringing it back to true 24 frames.

in 30P(F), you can capture as 60i and leave it because both fields will be the same, hence it essentially being progressive.

Sorry, I only edit mainly with Final Cut Pro and Avid, so I don't know the workings of premiere.

Hope this helps.
Old October 10th, 2009, 02:51 PM   #13
Regular Crew

So what is the best way to remove pulldown? Is pulldown removal necessary for both 24f and 30f in SD? Premiere sees the 24f and 30f videos as interlaced and deinterlaces them; will this degrade the image quality? The deinterlacing also uses more system resources, slowing the whole editing process down.
Old October 10th, 2009, 06:58 PM   #14
Major Player

Mitch, although i don't shoot in 30FPS, i believe the trick in Premiere, is to work on a 29.97fps timeline (interlaced), but upon export, choose the progressive output. Internally, PPro treats it as interlaced....
Although, i'm not working with CS4 currently, take it with a grain of salt...
Old October 12th, 2009, 04:09 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Peter, won't Premiere deinterlace the video? If so, what is the advantage of shooting in 30f over 60i?
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Canon EOS / MXF / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Canon HDV and DV Camera Systems > Canon XH Series HDV Camcorders